Disappointed in new 670

Zarich

Limp Gawd
So.. I had a galaxy gc 670 that boosted to 1175 default (box says 1086).
It had a bad coil whine so I returned it and exchanged.
My new one only boosts to 1136 default.
This one will only OC to the old ones default boost.

I am pretty disappointed.
Worth returning it to buy a diff brand?

We're talkin' like...what, .8 fps?

Yeah this is really the problem. I don't think you will really get enough performance to justify the exchange. Though 1136 is not really a major overclock it is still a nice gain and should serve you well.

It isn't a nice gain at all.
the default boost is suppose to be 1085.
I have not heard of anyone with a factory OC card getting this low of boost before.
1175 on my last one is more normal.. 1136 is just.. sad.

New Card in Heaven:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Old Card:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

It makes enough of a difference I feel like I turned in a defective card and got a worse performing card for the same money.

I have done the same but the return was very easy for me. I have a Tiger Direct 15 minutes from me so I just took it back and returned and got lucky on the 2nd one. If you have to RMA and ship it and wait then I would say not worth it.

I think the bigger question is...does the replacement card whine? That was the reason for the exchange afterall.

OMG can you feel the difference or you just going off numbers? Overclocks aren't promised to you when you buy the product, it's a bonus. You're getting a card that does what it says on the box and what the company promised you. Did they sell you something they said that will overclock to certain numbers but didn't achieve it? IF so then yes it's defective. You're worrying about peanuts. Get out and enjoy life and play a friggin game and quit benchmarking them geez.

It does not whine. It is very quiet.

Then you're set. I don't care who you are you can't tell a difference between 95 fps or 92 fps. I would keep it. If the FPS difference was 10 or more than ya, but your less than 3fps on the Heaven Benchmark.

I sympathize. It's happened to me where the replacement from RMA doesn't clock as well (though I've never really had golden or even above-average chips before anyway).

That said, dem's the breaks. Overclocking is both 1) never guaranteed, other than what the manufacturer lists on the box, and 2) a way to squeeze more performance as a bonus, not something that we are entitled to by buying the card.

There's always flashing the bios and overvolting... :)

I guess at worst I can use EVGA precision to force the extra 40mhz. I didn't want to have to use it though. Also I lost 300 graphics pts in 3dmark..
On a plus side because of the lower boost this card runs cooler.

Last edited:
I have not heard of anyone with a factory OC card getting this low of boost before.

New Card in Heaven:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Old Card:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

It makes enough of a difference I feel like I turned in a defective card and got a worse performing card for the same money.

Synthetic benchmarks are near worthless, regardless not sure I trust those results. Seriously most actual games you will see probably less than .5 FPS of a diff especially during low frame rates areas

Hardly worth spending another 1.5 seconds thinking about.

Is it okay to run EVA precision all the time.
I can at +40 to it and get the same boost results I got before. This card is a terrible Overclocker though.. I can't even hit 1200 without freezing.. my other card could only hit 1201. Sad.

Hey, if you don't want the card, I'll take it. Sucks that your RMA'd card isn't as good, but that's what happens. Overclocking is never guaranteed. You could send it back again, but you'd need a reason to. The only way you could probably achieve this is through dishonesty, which I would strongly recommend against.

Run the benchmark with the same clock 3 times. I guarantee your numbers will be "300" points off in either direction every time. Seriously, you're putting way too much value in useless benchmarks.

New Card in Heaven:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Old Card:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

You are complaining about 1.2fps avg, and 3.5fps max?

Seriously? Turn off the damn fps counter, stop using worthless synthetic benchmarks, and enjoy your damn card and video games lol.

Hmm I think your putting to much emphasis on this. Off to a better thread. (no offense) When I read the thread title it sounded like a real issue.

Agreed. 1.2 fps is nothing you're going to notice and I don't know about you but I never enjoyed playing 3DMark so it wouldn't matter to me what my score was. You've got a good working card, enjoy it and don't worry about 1.2 fps more that you got with a defective card that you can't notice anyway. No 2 cards overclock the same and that's essentially what boost is. If it's hitting it's advertised speed and then some, there is nothing wrong with it.

Nah man, don't return it. Not having that annoying sound is worth the minute drop in performance. Well, I must say that I'm highly annoyed by coil whine.

Install Afterburner.
Overclock the card.
Done.

1.2 FPS.......really?

So if you return the card and get a new one that whines, like the old one, then what?:eek:

This card doesn't OC either. In precision I can push it to boost up to 1189 stable.. after that it locks.
:(.
In the world of silicon lotteries I really lost.
SOOOO disappointed. And to think EVGA was just $10 more and most get at least 1150 boost off theirs.

This card doesn't OC either. In precision I can push it to boost up to 1189 stable.. after that it locks.
SOOOO disappointed. And to think EVGA was just $10 more and most get at least 1150 boost off theirs.

If your name was Vega, then I could see you being a little disappointed. But it's not, and you're running a single GTX670, not four Titans on a custom chilled loop. You didn't really lose anything- you got a fast, quiet card for playing games, and that's what you should be doing with it!

I would keep the quiet, slightly slower card. You're giving yourself a headache over peanuts.

Most, not all. Grass is greener, hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Given your luck, there was also a chance you could have spent that extra $10, yet still gotten a card that doesn't do 1150, and be on this thread all the same but raging even harder.

Well, it's your right to vent... (but if you really want a presumptuous post telling you what to do then read on)

When do you plan to upgrade?

You're thinking things like an extra $10 will have justified your already $350+ purchase, so you can't be so financially constrained as if this was your one and only luxury purchase that was supposed to last for years and years of enjoyment, but would break the bank to replace.

So, I'm guessing you're like me: you're probably still getting max performance from the games currently on your list, and will upgrade again a year from now... By that time, whether you had the extra 40mhz or so when you sell an old card you're tired of anyway will be a distant memory. A poor overclocker now is insignificant in terms of the big picture. It'll also make you appreciate the good clockers that much more, also like me, who rarely gets cards that are even average.

First world problems lol. :p

As everyone else has already said, overclocking is a lottery: few win, many lose. Unfortunately you're not entitled to anything beyond the clocks stated on the box. If you were, wouldn't that just be the default stock clocks? ;)

Besides, think of it like this, there are plenty of people out there that WISHED they were running a 670 (even one that had coil whine!) - so forget the benches and enjoy what you have for as long as you can until the next upgrade. Then you get to play your hand at the great, big lottery pool once again!

K
Thanks guys.
I feel better.
Using precision I can at +40 without touching anything else and get my boost back, plus a nice fan profile.

Still sad I lost out on the lottery...
I have had the worst luck with electronics. I knew in the back of my mind my choices were gonna be whine or a lower boost. I was hoping to get the same boost or higher, but my luck is so bad that I knew where it was going.

Now.. I want to say this about the card itself so as not to give the company a bad rep.. The card is rock solid in build and design and dead silent. I use a custom fan profile and never see past 60c with the fans never touching 55% even at load. Also Galaxy reps are #1.

I have had the worst luck with electronics.

Bad luck with electronics is when your psu lets the magic smoke out, and and takes your cpu, motherboard, and ssd with it. 40 MHz delta on a graphics card doesn't count!!

You're out of your mind if you think that you have "bad luck" when your lack of OC limits you by 1-2FPS. Cry me a river, ffs...

:(
You guys are harsh.

Maybe I deserve it, but I can still be sad.

I just played some bf3 with my new card boosted to 1175 and it ran smoother than the old card by a long shot on ultra.

Last edited:
:(
You guys are harsh.

Maybe I deserve it, but I can still be sad.

I just played some bf3 with my new card boosted to 1175 and it ran smoother than the old card by a long shot on ultra.

Wow really? After all that? /Thread.

You are complaining about 1.2fps avg, and 3.5fps max?

Seriously? Turn off the damn fps counter, stop using worthless synthetic benchmarks, and enjoy your damn card and video games lol.

Yes, turn off the fps info and see how the game feels. I only use my Precision HUD to see the % of the card/RAM being used as well as the temp.

I did that.
Card runs great.
No annoying whine.
FPS are very nice and smooth.
I ran a large sum of games.
However, I don't like this whole boost thing. I never spent much time OC my card, but when your card will run slower than a reviewers card because of the boost feature it feels a little off.

Precision gives me back the same level of performance without touching the power target or memory.. just +40 on the clock offset.

Build quality on the card is rock solid.
So.. overall just a tad whiny about the loss of 40mhz boost..

It took me ever to figure that one out -- not sure $399 video cards fall into the same elitist category as expensive cars ...

Good job. That's close enough. It's a pretty common term we use on another forum. It's kinda grown into its own. I wouldn't exactly call the cars expensive either. :p

I have been very pleased with my 670 personally. I purchased a EVGA FTW edition and have been able to play anything maxed @ 1080p. Just my .02.

My card didn't cost near $399.
Galaxy has some of the best value cards with their rebate of anyone.
$338 for me.

Back