Disabling VGA palette snooping?

clreinstein

Limp Gawd
I ran Sandra on my inspiron 5100 the other day and it said that vga palette snooping was enabled and is hurting video performance. How do I disable this? I have the latest bios version and video driver for the ati mobility 7500 but there is nothing in them to disable this.

Can turn off palette snooping in your bios settings.

If you do not know what that is, shouldn't own a computer.

RipFlex said:

Ignore this guy, I'm sure he just learnt how to format his computer.

Anyways whenever you reboot your computer usually does a "Power on Self Test" aka a "POST". During the POST you're going to want to hit your setup button which it should tell you during the POST, or in your motherboard manual somewhere. The button is usually Delete, F2 or possibly some others.

RipFlex said:
Right, Jerunk. Whatever.
Then what is VGA Palette Snooping? I think I'm pretty knowledgable when it comes to BIOS settings, but VGA Palette Snooping is something I don't know about. Please enlighten us, seeing how you all this info.

Adrian's Rojak Pot - BIOS Optimization Guide said:
PCI/VGA Palette Snoop

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Quick Review

This BIOS feature determines if your graphics card should allow VGA palette snooping by a fixed function display card. It is only useful if you use a fixed-function display card that requires a VGA-compatible graphics card to be present (i.e. MPEG decoder card).

Such fixed-function display cards generally do not have their own VGA palette. So, they have to "snoop" VGA palette data from the graphics card to generate the proper colours. Normally, the graphics card's Feature Connector is used for this purpose.

When this feature is enabled, the graphics card will not respond to framebuffer writes. It will forward them to the fixed-function display card via its Feature Connector. The fixed-function display card will then snoop the palette data and generate the proper colours.

When this feature is disabled, the graphics card will display all framebuffer writes.

It is recommended that you disable this feature if you do not use any fixed-function display card like a MPEG decoder card.

But if you are using a fixed-function display card that requires palette snooping, enable this feature. Otherwise, the colours displayed may not be accurate and the monitor will blank out once you stop using the fixed-function display card.

Give it a read.

RipFlex said:
Right, Jerunk. Whatever.

Well then don't make such an asshatted comment like you did. 80% of computer users probably don't know what a BIOS is.

Jerunk said:
Well then don't make such an asshatted comment like you did. 80% of computer users probably don't know what a BIOS is.

Everyone starts somewhere.

I know how to access the bios. There is nothing in the bios to change palette snooping setting. I ignore jackass comments from people that think they are are omniscient and think everyone should know everything.

RipFlex said:

For having 13 whole posts you sure are an asshole.

clreinstein said:
I read that page but it just tells you to go into the bios and disable it. There is no option in the bios to disable it.

You might have a cheesy motherboard (found in compaq's, dell's, etc), you could try doing a bios update or check your mobo's manual for where its located in the bios.

Wow Asshat, must add that to Ass Gnome I've been called as well?

Well if your Mobo doesn't have the setting to change in Bios then how you know it's on? I dislike mobos certain settings you can never get to myself. I guess there's 2 alternatives you can try. Update your Bios or use a 3rd party software that may have your mobo type to allow you to change an number of features on your board? The name of the software to change motherboard settings dynamically I forget.

MMmmmm asshat, I like it.

Don't worry about it. The RAMDAC is dual ported and palette snooping will not happen during games anyways. Even at worst, the performance hit is negligible.

Sandra has some pretty crummy advice sometimes.

SeaFoam said:
For having 13 whole posts you sure are an asshole.

:rolleyes:

official warning
there is a very limited amount of slack given for you to discover exactly where the boundaries are, and that was over it.

No Flaming

Back