Disabling SMB 1.0 in Windows 10 kills Windows Explorer network discovery

Was instructed to disable SMB 1.0 on a work PC, which I did via Turn Windows Features On/Off. Now Windows Explorer doesn't list networked machines. Why is this? All machines are still accessible via \\NAME or maps. These are all Win 10 machines on the network.
The feature says it enables computer browser support. By removing it you disable that feature.

I can't answer that question, though I'm curious.

Creative Update 1703 introduced a bug in the Browser service that prevents my Linux based media player from seeing the "network neighborhood". The hack fix is to force a pre-CU Win 10 computer to be the Master Browser. If that works for you, please report it to Microsoft, it may be the same issue that I have.

...So is Computer Browser Protocol part of SMB 1.0?

The network browser is a service, not a protocol and yes - it relies on SMB.
The fact it wouldn't work was listed in a Microsoft advisory detailing the disabling of SMB as a work-around.
...the implication being if you relied on it, then obviously you shouldn't disable SMB - you'd need to proceed with installing the hot-fixes that have been released.

- I would question the use of the browser service - i.e. is it required or just a "nice to have" ? - but obviously the only person who can answer that in your scenario is you.

Was instructed to disable SMB 1.0 on a work PC, which I did via Turn Windows Features On/Off. Now Windows Explorer doesn't list networked machines. Why is this? All machines are still accessible via \\NAME or maps. These are all Win 10 machines on the network.
What did you think the purpose of SMB was? It was SAMBA(unix)/SMB is the means of finding network shares and mapping them.

Back