disabling services to boost performance

chinoquezada said:
Well lookie here...

lookie.jpg

The good people at Redmond included the option just for you...

I disable it that way to as well as disable the service. I even disable it in the registry. I just hate Error Reproting and dialog boxes will come up unless you disable Error Reproting in all areas of the OS.

Super Mario said:
I disable it that way to as well as disable the service. I even disable it in the registry. I just hate Error Reproting and dialog boxes will come up unless you disable Error Reproting in all areas of the OS.
False.

chinoquezada said:

It happens for me. Heck, Microsoft makes their other applications include a separate error reporting feature so you not only have to disable Error Reporting in Windows XP, but in the registry for the MS specific applications as well. Turning off Error reporting will not stop individual MS applications from poping up with an Error Report dialog box when they crash. They probably do that because they want to try and make it as painful for you as possible to shut off error reporting completely. I HATE error reporting and I disable it in every way possible.

Super Mario said:
It happens for me. Heck, Microsoft makes their other applications include a separate error reporting feature so you not only have to disable Error Reporting in Windows XP, but in the registry for the MS specific applications as well. Turning off Error reporting will not stop individual MS applications from poping up with an Error Report dialog box when they crash. They probably do that because they want to try and make it as painful for you as possible to shut off error reporting completely. I HATE error reporting and I disable it in every way possible.
Show us a pic please...

chinoquezada said:
Show us a pic please...

Tell me something I can do that will definitely make an application crash. I know for a fact that it happens with Office, Internet Explorer, and other MS apps.

Super Mario said:
Tell me something I can do that will definitely make an application crash. I know for a fact that it happens with Office, Internet Explorer, and other MS apps.
If you follow the screen captures above, you will not see any more error reporting pop-ups. You might want to consider admitting defeat, spend your efforts learning more about the subject, and bring this thread back to being a positive resources, rather than a bitch-fest. I've read through the entire thread, and most of the others have posted correct information about how disabling services is a joke. That's a fact, and it's been beaten to death. No need to argue it anymore.

"disabling services is a joke"

No, this is not a fact but merely an opinion. You have to at least acknowledge that. If you can acknowledge that, then I can acknowledge that most people don't need to disable services. I do appreciate the help I get in this forum, but to totally and outright continue to tell everyone to not disable any services is wrong.

SkaarjMaster said:
"disabling services is a joke"

No, this is not a fact but merely an opinion. You have to at least acknowledge that. If you can acknowledge that, then I can acknowledge that most people don't need to disable services. I do appreciate the help I get in this forum, but to totally and outright continue to tell everyone to not disable any services is wrong.
It's a fact, pure and simple. When you have a MS developer explain it, and provide links clearly explaining how services work, and why disabling an unused service doesn't do anything for you, it is a fact. As others have said before, this topic is a sticky, and should be read if you still think disabling services has any benefit.

Not that this is "indisputable", but an [H] member decided to test some performance tweaks across low, midrange, and high level systems

SkaarjMaster said:
What happens if you check that box that says "but notify me when critical errors occur" and error reporting is still disabled? Does this mean it notifies the user only and doesn't send it over the Internet?
Yes it will inform you of errors and, not send them via the internet. Even when you do send an error report it is strictly a voluntary thing. If you really want to see the errors, then just use you admin tools. It has all the codes and, the nature of the error in there. I personally send my error codes in. If MS really wanted to get the info on whats on my system then, all they had to do was add a back door to the OS. Bill Gates doesnt give a ratsass what you are doing, he already has your cash.
Closing out services is of no appreciable gain in XP. That was not the case in the older OSes. For example in 98 Satan Edition or, Moron Edition. Disabling all but the system tray and, explorer was a great benefit. This was especially true of installs and. game playing. You can always go into safe mode for installs now, if you are having problems. That has worked for me 90% of the time.

If you download a program called XP Smoker Pro, it will do it all for you with its "Game Boost" feature. I noticed alot of performance I didnt even know i had. Try it out and let me know how it worked for you

Joves, thanks for the info.

Let's just agree to disagree on this issue then. I've already given my reasons for disabling services and it is a benefit to me. I've seen the tests, but to come out and say this is a fact and there is no benefit is just plain arrogance.

{bmf}CrackSmoke said:
If you download a program called XP Smoker Pro, it will do it all for you with its "Game Boost" feature. I noticed alot of performance I didnt even know i had. Try it out and let me know how it worked for you
That has gimmick written all over it. It's almost identical to tons of other apps that claim to do the same thing, but do not. One very simple clue is that the website for it doesn't explain anything in detail, in terms of how performance is gained. Nothing they list really pertains to performance, either.

What you're seeing is known as the "Placebo Effect".

djnes said:
If you follow the screen captures above, you will not see any more error reporting pop-ups. You might want to consider admitting defeat, spend your efforts learning more about the subject, and bring this thread back to being a positive resources, rather than a bitch-fest. I've read through the entire thread, and most of the others have posted correct information about how disabling services is a joke. That's a fact, and it's been beaten to death. No need to argue it anymore.

I hate Error Reporting and will do everything I can to ensure it does not come up. Maybe just disabling it through System properties is enough, but I don't want the service running either. Nothing else uses that service expect Error Reporting.

Heck, I make a custom install of Windows XP and remove the Error Reporting service so its not even there and can't be started.

Use nlite to strip out unnecessary bloat from Windows XP installation source files: http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Super Mario said:
I hate Error Reporting and will do everything I can to ensure it does not come up. Maybe just disabling it through System properties is enough, but I don't want the service running either. Nothing else uses that service expect Error Reporting.

Heck, I make a custom install of Windows XP and remove the Error Reporting service so its not even there and can't be started.
Yes but you should take note that the service memory usage is occupied in the pagefile rather than your system memory.

So it's like trying to loose weight by not eating celery...

chinoquezada said:
Yes but you should take note that the service memory usage is occupied in the pagefile rather than your system memory.

So it's like trying to loose weight by not eating celery...

True, but I don't disable it to gain more system performance. I disable it because I don't want it there.

"Im never going to take any advice from SkaarjMaster in the future."

Your loss. :rolleyes:

Probably the best thing to do though is just agree to disagree and let this thread die. We all know why some of us disable services and we all know why some of us don't disable services. :D

SkaarjMaster said:
"Im never going to take any advice from SkaarjMaster in the future."

Your loss. :rolleyes:

Probably the best thing to do though is just agree to disagree and let this thread die. We all know why some of us disable services and we all know why some of us don't disable services. :D
We can all agree to disagree, but you're still ignoring the sticky with facts, yes facts. I'm still at a loss as to how or why anyone can even argue this point anymore. Read the sticky. Also, in case you haven't seen it, there is a quote button...lower right of each post.

I use the quote button when it is necessary and that is my choice. If the quote is for something very near the last post, then I usually don't use it.

I'm not ignoring the sticky with facts. Please read what I said earlier in the thread again and just drop it. :rolleyes:
"My philosophy is if it doesn't need to run on my computer, then it gets disabled or just doesn't run."
"I just don't like any service running that I don't need."
"I know what I'm doing and I choose to disable some services."

Once again, it is a personal choice and if I need something to run later that depends on a service then I'll enable that service. When I need it, I'll enable it. It's that simple for me! Can we let it rest now?

Sure, we can let it rest. Just keep in mind it's the equivalent of sticking a big red R on my car. It does absolutely nothing for performance, and it wastes my time in the application. Those services aren't harming a damn thing, so we even bother? That's the logic you're missing here. It's you're own PC, so if you wish to do something pointless, go right ahead. Just don't post in future threads on this subject that it's okay to disable services. It's not good advice, and it can create problems for the user in question. What you do on your own PC is fine....it's the advice given to others that is important.

I'll tell others whatever I feel like telling them, whether in this forum or not. Thank you. :rolleyes: You sure have a funny way of letting this thread die. I'm done, are you?

SkaarjMaster said:
I'll tell others whatever I feel like telling them, whether in this forum or not. Thank you.
I've been done about the services for quite some time. Nothing more was needed, ever since the sticky went up. The problem remains is people with an attitude like you have. You'll tell them whatever you feel like, even if the advice isn't what's best for the user asking the question? Wonderful. That's exactly what we need around here. People giving bad advice and false info.

Well, when people like you give people narrow-minded advice and don't let them know all the options open to them, then I guess there has to be someone around to balance that. Don't be so f-ing paranoid, djnes. Just so you must know, I'm not going to tell someone to do something without telling them how to reverse it. And telling someone all the options open is not bad advice. This thread is getting pretty ridiculous and is screaming to be locked. :rolleyes:

SkaarjMaster said:
Well, when people like you give people narrow-minded advice and don't let them know all the options open to them, then I guess there has to be someone around to balance that. Don't be so f-ing paranoid, djnes. Just so you must know, I'm not going to tell someone to do something without telling them how to reverse it. And telling someone all the options open is not bad advice. This thread is getting pretty ridiculous and is screaming to be locked. :rolleyes:
He is not giving narrowminded advice. He is giving advice that will be applicable to most people most of the time. You are giving advice that is specific to you and your situation. It's okay to present your ideas, but don't keep fighting it. This is not SkaarjMaster's personal system configuration thread; it is for the benefit of the forum, and you constantly fighting isn't helping anything. And in closing, telling people options that are pointless or wrong is actually giving them bad advice.

SkaarjMaster said:
I would hope you wouldn't give someone bad advice on purpose. That was not my point. You're missing the fact that you continued to argue with people, even after they proved you wrong. Debating is great, but continuing dead arguments doesn't help anyone. Take it as a learning experience, and move on. That was the point of having this topic made a sticky. It's been debated, the truth was posted in the form of a sticky, with the sole purpose of avoiding these debates in the future.

First of all, giving people options is not pointless or wrong. Second, no one has proved me wrong as I have not stated anything about performance gains or stability. Third, I'm not fighting anything but when people can't admit that there is another option out there for people like me that don't want unnecessary services running, then they are not helping the community out at all. All I'm trying to point out is that unwanted services can still be disabled if that's what someone really wants to do. Read all the documentation and then make that decision for yourself. Fourth, you guys have a one-sided view of the truth. Fifth, I think that pretty much sums it up. Believe what you want to believe and I'll do the same. Peace. :)

This is why we can't have nice things.

Bicker, squabble, nitpick. You guys are just regurgitating the same stuff back and forth to each other.

So disabling services has minimal to no performance gain. I wouldn't be so quick to say this is absololute, older systems might benefit, some might not.

You don't like a service, so disable it. I have absolutely no issue with this. You're not going for performance, you're going for customization. I don't see what the problem is with this.

I was going to lock the thread down, but if you guys wish to carry out some decent conversation please do so. If you want to keep throwing this ball around the schoolyard, I'm going to lock up the playground.

Not too mention performance isn't everything. Security becomes an issue at times. Why would the average professional user want Remote Registry running (pre-SP2, I know)? There's just some services that are just a waste to have running if you're a security nut. There's a lot of people that preach about having a firewall and virus scanner and adware scanner and then have back door services running....

It's your preference. As long as people are careful about what services that are disabling, then it shouldn't matter. If someone is going to go around disabling all their services, then so be it. I hope their happy with a large brick.

Back