disabling Internet Explorer 6

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
This pc is a family pc, and we run windows xp pro. Until now we used just 1 account, but my brother keeps downloading spyware from the sites he goes on. I keep telling him to stop but he wont. He also installs programs i tell him not to.

I want to disable IE for him but not for my account how would i do this?

Going into add/remove and windows components, then unchecking Internet explorer only removes all the shortcuts for IE. You can still access it by typing an address in a folders address bar, clicking a hyperlink or going to windows update. So this is not good, my brother can still access it.

Any ideas?

How about going to C drive program files rightclick on "iexplore.exe" then chose Security and add his username to the list, then restrict his username from accessing the file.

I have just done it. It works.....Undo it[removed the user name] and all back to normal. :D

Another thing to do is...

IE/Tools/Internet Options/Content/Content Adviser (click Enable and set all ratings to the maximum)/General/Create Password (Create it, verify it and forget it.)

After all of this, IE cannot even access Google without a password...the one that no one remembers. :D

It will, however, access Windows Update...and maybe Disney's site...maybe.

How about going to C drive program files rightclick on "iexplore.exe" then chose Security and add his username to the list, then restrict his username from accessing the file.

Yes this sounds very good but i dont understand how i do this. There is no security tab when you right click and go to properties. The tabs i see are GENERAL, VERSION, COMPATIBILITY, SUMMARY.

You will need to disable simple file sharing. Go Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> uncheck use simple file sharing at the bottom of the list under Advanced Settings.

Back