Disabling HA for a specific VM?

danswartz

2[H]4U
Is there a relatively easy way to prevent a specific VM from being protected by HA? I had thought having a passthrough HBA and being on a local datastore would cause that, but it still shows as protected. Obviously it's not, and I assume there is nothing bad about the false indication - more curious as to why it is showing as protected?

Just because it is showing as "protected", doesn't mean that it will actually fail over properly. In the real world, a small percentage of HA actions will result in "HAFailoverFailed" for one reason or another (capacity, affinity rules, PCI-passthrough, etc).

I think it would be more appropriate for the status to be "best-try protected".

Sorry if I was unclear. I understand it can't actually fail over - more wondering why it shows it is protected, when vsphere should be 100% it can't ever work (in this case best == never)?

Is there a relatively easy way to prevent a specific VM from being protected by HA? I had thought having a passthrough HBA and being on a local datastore would cause that, but it still shows as protected. Obviously it's not, and I assume there is nothing bad about the false indication - more curious as to why it is showing as protected?

Well to answer your question directly, sure you can easily prevent the protection from HA. You go to the virtual machine options under vSphere HA for the cluster settings, and there you can "disable" the restart priority for the VM. I don't think this will cause it to show "unprotected" though; even though the checks for "Protection" explicitly call out the restart priority being "disabled" is a condition that cannot be set in order to be protected.

I think just maybe, that specific "protected" label is much more simplistic than we would like to believe.

yeah, i set disabled. just thought it was confusing indicating a VM is protected when it can't possibly be. oh well, live and learn. thanks!

Back