Disable windows file protection for xp sp2?

swirly

Gawd
Okay, I have done this before but I forgot. I am trying to delete windows media player, outlook express, etc.. All that stupid shit I don't use. I can delete them under the amdinstrator, but they come back. There is a registry entry somewhere that can disable file protection and you can delete them permanently. Do any of you guys know how to delete them permanently without them coming back? I used WFP admin or something and it unprotected the files, I deleted them no prolem, but they all came back.. I tried editing the registry, and I tried the system 32 hex shit. I tried everything, the files keep coming back... I read every tutorial, so dont give me some dumb tutorial that tells me to do the same thing I have been doing.. Also, are there any free programs that do this?

THANKS.

What did you delete when you tried to remove them?

This has always worked for me:
Go to add/remove programs
Click on the button for Add/Remove Windows Components
Check/Uncheck whatever you want
Click next

I second what Lannen said... that is what I have done in the past and it was worked for me.

You could use nlite to slipstream SP2 and hotfixes into your install and then take out all of that stuff beforehand, then it won't even be installed.

But, the add/remove windows components will work.

drdeutsch

swirly said:
It will totally get rid of windows media player folder?

Why are you so adament about that? Whether you use them or not, they aren't hurting your system by being there, besides occupying a marginal amount of disk space.

start with what lannen said. If you don't see what you want to uninstall, go to your C:\WINDOWS\inf folder and edit the sysoc.inf file in notepad. delete all instances of the word "hide" (no quotes), and then re-save the file. That will unhide all the things Windows does not wnat you to uninstall, but that are able to be uninstalled anyways. Then re-follow lannen's steps. Once everything here is uninstalled, if there is still a folder for it, it should just be leftovers, and can be deleted at this point.

This has always worked for me...if it doesn't for you, somethign else is going on. BTW, if you are doing this with messenger, make sure that messenger has been closed out of the system tray prior to uninstallation/deletion.

How about remove the shortcuts and dont use them? They take up little hard drive space.

uzor said:
start with what lannen said. If you don't see what you want to uninstall, go to your C:\WINDOWS\inf folder and edit the sysoc.inf file in notepad. delete all instances of the word "hide" (no quotes), and then re-save the file. That will unhide all the things Windows does not wnat you to uninstall, but that are able to be uninstalled anyways. Then re-follow lannen's steps. Once everything here is uninstalled, if there is still a folder for it, it should just be leftovers, and can be deleted at this point.

This has always worked for me...if it doesn't for you, somethign else is going on. BTW, if you are doing this with messenger, make sure that messenger has been closed out of the system tray prior to uninstallation/deletion.

He beat me to it...modify the sysoc.inf file. I usually do a "find/replace" on the file for ",hide," with a ",,". If you do this...ONLY DELETE THE 'HIDE'...you need those extra commas in there else you bjork your system. I've been there! ;)

Back