DIRT 2 delay again !

NeonGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
well earlier steam said dirt 2 3 hours untill unlock and now its saying 5 hours untill..
this is crap..

well earlier steam said dirt 2 3 hours untill unlock and now its saying 5 hours untill..
this is crap..

Gotta get the servers and their ISP ready for the hit, gotta make sure that the Pub has given the green light for you to release, may have to update Steam due to a glitch with the game, have to etc.

There are a shit load of places for delays to pop up in this process. It's only a few hours anyway. You can always get it elsewhere if you can't wait.

gotta make sure that the Pub has given the green light for you to release

I can't believe with hours to go before release the pub has the authority to demand another two-hr delay... Too close to release for the pub to demand Steam to tinker with it...

Yeah, in the USA. I am getting a little tired of this delaying.

EDIT:
Just re-enter your CD key into Steam (if you have the Steam version), and it will start installing. It doesn't show up in the games list while downloading or after it is done, but you can double click the dirt2.exe file in the Program Files folder!

Last edited:
I re-entered my CD key into steam and it told me that that CD key is already added. I see no Dirt 2 folders added either, so I'm guessing it's still not doing anything. (Are you referring to Windows Programs files folder or steamapps/common/... in the Steam folder?)

I wonder if my Steam cd key will work with a retail released DVD.

Ok, so after re-entering my CD key, being told that I had already activated that product I had to exit Steam, launch Steam again, enter my Dirt 2 CD key a second time. After being told that I had already activated this CD key I then was prompted with the option to install.

As TiWizard said, Dirt 2 does not show up in your games list or show speed/ETA on the download, but it is downloading/installing.

I'll have to check back periodically to see if it's finished.

Thanks for the tip!

Ok, so after re-entering my CD key, being told that I had already activated that product I had to exit Steam, launch Steam again, enter my Dirt 2 CD key a second time. After being told that I had already activated this CD key I then was prompted with the option to install.

As TiWizard said, Dirt 2 does not show up in your games list or show speed/ETA on the download, but it is downloading/installing.

I'll have to check back periodically to see if it's finished.

Thanks for the tip!

Open your task manager (ctrl alt del) then go into the Networking tab. When the utilization stops, the download is done.

It got to 10GB when my network activity dropped to 0%. I tried to run the game but it said OpenAL32.dll was missing.

My Dirt2 folder is 10.5gb.You have to launch the game via the Dirt2.exe in that folder..Game caused a few system restarts and doesnt run as good as the demo so I suspect there may be a few bugs and thats why it got yanked from Steam.

My Dirt2 folder is 10.5gb.You have to launch the game via the Dirt2.exe in that folder..Game caused a few system restarts and doesnt run as good as the demo so I suspect there may be a few bugs and thats why it got yanked from Steam.

I played for 4 hours....no problem at all..

I am getting a bunch of dll errors. I am looking for a fix right now.

Fixed the problem by downloading and installing new driver for my card and direct3dll sdk

QFT..I even tried forcing it and its not working.Also,I cant seem to log into GFWL because it says my key isnt valid.

yeah i tried forcing afr and sfr, both resulted in huge fps drops. only thing that worked was using SLI AA which gave me 16xQAA. at 1920x1080 max game settings i got 44avg, 32min in the benchmark. not bad but...:D

yeah i tried forcing afr and sfr, both resulted in huge fps drops. only thing that worked was using SLI AA which gave me 16xQAA. at 1920x1080 max game settings i got 44avg, 32min in the benchmark. not bad but...:D

I am hoping that it runs fine at 5760x1200. If I have to turn aa off to play it so be it.

Anyone else able to find a "configuration" menu? You know those old menus that come in pretty much every PC game ;)

I am hoping that it runs fine at 5760x1200. If I have to turn aa off to play it so be it.

Exactly the reason I need a menu. I can manually disable it through a config, but I'd rather tweak settings in a menu.

Holy fuck this game is fun and runs nice too. I am running all settings on high with 2xaa at 5760x1200 and it runs great. This might just be my new crack. Only major problem I see so far is alt tab is broke on the game.

Anyone else able to find a "configuration" menu? You know those old menus that come in pretty much every PC game ;)

Exactly the reason I need a menu. I can manually disable it through a config, but I'd rather tweak settings in a menu.

The options menu is on a table outside of the trailer (at least it was in the demo)

My Dirt2 folder is 10.5gb.

Great... I hate my internet. 4.65 GB downloaded after about 6 hours of downloading. I guess I am leaving my computer on tonight :(

Look in the game's folder for the OpenAL installer? It would probably have launched on the first run of the game through steam. Like it does with many games when it "installs" the game. (not really an install, more of an install of required components).

But it was probably downloaded with the game.

Tried that...found an openal install exe file (Creative eax sound)...now gettting xlive.dll missing...........not good.

Edit: now installing Games for Windows Live; it worked! Strang that I had to install a Creative sound driver...I'm using onboard sound, w/ Win 7.

Last edited:
I can't believe with hours to go before release the pub has the authority to demand another two-hr delay... Too close to release for the pub to demand Steam to tinker with it...

Whoever owns the property, (usually the Pub, sometimes the Dev), can do just that depending on their contracts with their distributors. Though, imho, it seems stupid to do so unless there is some major problem, since cracked versions are already on the torrent sites.

Whoever owns the property, (usually the Pub, sometimes the Dev), can do just that depending on their contracts with their distributors. Though, imho, it seems stupid to do so unless there is some major problem, since cracked versions are already on the torrent sites.

But would the distributors sign-off on such a deal if they couldn't be sure they could implement the continuing delays in time?

If it's supposed to be released at noon, and at 1100 decides they want it at 1500, then at 1400 they decide 1700, etc, at some point you might not be giving the distributor time to re-delay it...

You can obviously do anything... But I'm sure even these contracts have limitations... If I was asked multiple times in one day to just delay something by an hour or two, after a few times, I'd ask if they really even want to release it today...

I've gotten around a couple of the missing DLL issues. Is there any way to edit a config file so that I can avoid installing DX9.0c and just use DX11?

Steam must have fixed the reentering cd key to get it to install bug.. I have tried restarting steam over and over and reentering and no luck.

just curious, what controllers you guys using to play with? I used to have a wired 360 controller for a pc gamepad, but lost it somewhere in moves. Guess I'm gonna have to get another. I don't have the setup for a don't play from a desk.

just curious, what controllers you guys using to play with? I used to have a wired 360 controller for a pc gamepad, but lost it somewhere in moves. Guess I'm gonna have to get another. I don't have the setup for a don't play from a desk.

I've been using the wired 360 gamepad for a while now, and it's been perfectly fine. But, with Shift and now DiRT2, I'm looking into getting a racing wheel and pedals. Can anyone recommend something under $100 that'll do the job?

I've been playing Shift and the Dirt2 demo with a basic logitech nascar wheel i got for 10 bucks on craigslist. It rocks once I secured it to my desk with some clamps rather than relying on the suction cups.

Grab something cheap to see if you like the controls of the wheel, then upgrade if you want more features.

Good game. I like the tracks the most. Munch better than DiRT 1 I think.

dirt2z.jpg

I've been using the wired 360 gamepad for a while now, and it's been perfectly fine. But, with Shift and now DiRT2, I'm looking into getting a racing wheel and pedals. Can anyone recommend something under $100 that'll do the job?

I recently picked up a Logitech Momo wheel to play with NFS:Shift - works good with Dirt 2 also. I think it was under $100, but I can't recall exactly.

Back