Dirk Meyer Leaving AMD?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a rumor out there that Dirk Meyer is leaving AMD and that a successor will be named soon. I am checking with AMD as we speak to see if there is any validity to this story but, at least for now, we'll just have to take this for what it is...a rumor.

Well something needs to change. They have an impressive line of products, maybe, either launching or to be launched. Just think if all these products would have actually launched on time.

Well something needs to change. They have an impressive line of products, maybe, either launching or to be launched. Just think if all these products would have actually launched on time.

Now as a fabless chip company, I can't see how they can possibly make sure they launch on time. Just imagine what would happen if bulldozer got hit with a process cancellation similar to the 68xx series?

Well even if he does leave, I have to say he's done a good job getting AMD back on it's feet after walking into that god-awful mess that Hector Ruiz led them into.

Agreed, Dirk has done a great job considering the extremely poor position amd was in with hector's leadership. Their upcoming product line is as promising as it's been since before the athlon 64 launched.

Hector = horrible CEO. Dirk = just not a good CEO.

Doesn't sound good for coming products if the rumor is true. Something would have to really go wrong for the CEO to "leave" on the cusp of a great product (snort) release (ha).

personally, I hope he waits at least until bulldozer launches, since that's really too important to just drop on someone who needs to get acquainted w/ the reigns first. Dirk Meyers did a decent job considering the situations the company was in, and I think he was a good fit for AMD's characteristics of being a survivor.

Agreed, Dirk has done a great job considering the extremely poor position amd was in with hector's leadership. Their upcoming product line is as promising as it's been since before the athlon 64 launched.

If that were anywhere near true, & w/the BD launch projected sometime yet this year, maybe even as early as Q2 2011, don't you think he'd stick around for that?

Does not bode well for the BD launch.

CNBC just announced that Dirk Meyer is stepping down in agreement with the board and that Steven Siefert is taking over as interim CEO.

A buyout is in talks or he was involved with the insider trading case, nothing to worry about.

Look at intel now, they have to lease gpu technology from nvidia, pathetic.

$1.5B is a lot less than the $6B that caused AMD to lose its fabs, and not make any net profit from ATI (so far).

The PR isn't showing up on AMD yet but here it is

AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that its Board of Directors has appointed Senior Vice President and CFO Thomas Seifert, 47, as interim CEO following the resignation of Dirk Meyer, 49, as president, CEO and a director of the company effective immediately.

A CEO Search Committee has been formed to begin the search for a new CEO. The Committee is led by Bruce Claflin, Chairman of AMD’s Board of Directors, who has been named Executive Chairman of the Board as he assumes additional oversight responsibilities during the transition period. Seifert will maintain his current responsibilities as CFO and has asked not to be considered for the permanent CEO position.

“Dirk became CEO during difficult times. He successfully stabilized AMD while simultaneously concluding strategic initiatives including the launch of GLOBALFOUNDRIES, the successful settlement of our litigation with Intel and delivering Fusion APUs to the market,” said Claflin.

”However, the Board believes we have the opportunity to create increased shareholder value over time. This will require the company to have significant growth, establish market leadership and generate superior financial returns. We believe a change in leadership at this time will accelerate the company’s ability to accomplish these objectives.”

Seifert joined AMD in 2009, and has more than 20 years of general management, global operations and financial management expertise. Immediately prior to joining AMD, Seifert served as COO and CFO of Qimonda AG, where he led the formation and subsequent IPO of the company. At Infineon AG, Seifert served as senior vice president and general manager in its Wireless Business Group.

In commenting on Seifert, Claflin said, “During his tenure at AMD, Thomas helped strengthen the company’s balance sheet while demonstrating strong leadership and winning the respect of his peers. His operations and finance experience make him an excellent choice to guide the company as interim CEO.”

“AMD enters 2011 with considerable product and financial momentum. Our roadmap for the year, including our ‘Llano’ APU and 32nm ‘Bulldozer’ based processors remain on track,” said Seifert. “I believe we have significant opportunities to cement our leadership positions in several key market segments based on the strength of our upcoming products.”

Oh dear the Future is NOT Fusion.

Poor Dirk Meyer!

The future is Intel (Sandy Bridge) and Nvidia (Geforce and Project Denver).

Sorry but it is the reason Meyer was fired.

Oh dear the Future is NOT Fusion.

Poor Dirk Meyer!

The future is Intel (Sandy Bridge) and Nvidia (Geforce and Project Denver).

Sorry but it is the reason Meyer was fired.

LOL, oh really?:rolleyes:

Wow, not only is Meyer out as CEO, he's also no longer on the board of directors. da boot, he got it good.

As a stockholder, this makes me a bit jittery because something really big is coming. We just don't know yet whether this "something big" is going to be good or really really bad. Considering how much money they've lost, I wonder when they will run out of money........

As a stockholder, this makes me a bit jittery because something really big is coming. We just don't know yet whether this "something big" is going to be good or really really bad. Considering how much money they've lost, I wonder when they will run out of money........

They could be getting ready for a buyout.

Where's the guy with the bulldozer pic now?

RIGHT HERE

Yrnvg.jpg

Of course it's good news. Look at all the other CEOs who were fired during CES. :p

I see it as good news, it'll make the engineers fear for their jobs and work harder!

All kidding aside, it feels like inter politics rather than anything to do with AMD's product lineup, which I feel is stronger than it's been in years.

I see it as good news, it'll make the engineers fear for their jobs and work harder!

All kidding aside, it feels like inter politics rather than anything to do with AMD's product lineup, which I feel is stronger than it's been in years.

Maybe he got caught running a Core i7/Geforce 580 setup at his house.

Well fantasy aside, AMD's server market share % is where it was during the Athlon MP days (not a good thing) and it's aging CPUs are 2 generations behind in performance.

Well fantasy aside, AMD's server market share % is where it was during the Athlon MP days (not a good thing) and it's aging CPUs are 2 generations behind in performance.

Yep. The biggest margin has been and will be in the high end arena. AMD is still the middle man to the lower man's champion. Not a lot of margin there, especially without their own fab. Without supreme high end competition in both processors and mainboards they are relying solely on volume sales. Not as lucrative as I'd like to see AMD be right now.

The pre-CY Q4 results given today with the news of DM getting canned has GM down by nearly 10% QoQ. I'm not sure if low end is really working out as well as it's supposed to. Q4 is usually the strong quarter. ;)

A buyout is in talks or he was involved with the insider trading case, nothing to worry about.

Look at intel now, they have to lease gpu technology from nvidia, pathetic.

And when has Intel ever had a decent GPU? ;)

Nah, AMD's BoD went down to CES, saw Tegra2 everywhere and went "And we sold Infineon to Qualcomm? WTF?!?!?!?!?" and kicked out Dirk Meyer on the spot.

Maybe he got caught running a Core i7/Geforce 580 setup at his house.

If he did, Al Gore would be all over him. For the sake of him not owning his own nuclear power plant, I say nay.

Though that would cut down on the heating bill.

I'm out of subtle jabs, now.

Back