DirecTV or Dish Network or Comcast...?

Palliser

Limp Gawd
Hey ladies and gents... looking to get some opinions here. My 2 years with DirecTV is up tomorrow and I'm looking to possibly make a switch. I would consider moving to Dish Network or even do some sort of double-play with Comcast. Here are couple things I'm considering.

1) I haven't had any issues with DirecTV, but am looking to get the most channels for my buck and making the move to Dish looks reasonable.
2) I don't care about or use NFL Ticket
3) I use comcast internet and would consider going over to their service to go double-play.
4) I still want to use HD programming and don't really care about DVR.
5) ATT U-verse isn't avail on my side of town yet....
6) Right now I have the basic package with DirecTV but it is lacking ESPN, which I want.

Any thoughts on who may have the better deals...?

I am pretty sure Directv or Dish will be cheaper than cable...in most areas they kill the cable rates by far once you get everything added up.

For me Dish is actually more expensive than Directv, and I like Directv, so I obviously would stay with them. But it really depends on your packages and such.

Comcast offers the most flexibility with their HDTV and internet options. I'd give them a call before committing to another two-year contract with DirecTV. I went back to Comcast after trying U-verse over the summer. I ended up getting the following package after negotiating with a customer service rep:

Digital Starter w/On Demand
HDTV
HBO
DVR
30 MBps internet

$79/month for 12 months; normal price would be about $165/month. No contract and I can set up a new package when this one expires.

I have always loved directv, but I use comcast for internet, and actually I get everything I watch through the internet so I have no need for tv subscription services, but from what I have read, comcast compresses the HD streams so much that they look pretty bad. I have never experienced HD through either comcast or directv but have always been impressed with the quality of directv, never any static like I always seemed to get through comcast or any other cable network.

Since you already have Comcast for internet, the best pricing is going to be Comcast.

Thanks for the replys. I too am nervous about how the HD programming will look through Comcast, but it could be worth a shot for sure.

Thanks for the replys. I too am nervous about how the HD programming will look through Comcast, but it could be worth a shot for sure.

That is one of the great things about comcast, no contracts (unless you have a business account like me, but that was only a year). You don't even have to cancel direct, just sign up for comcast and try it out for 1 month, if your not happy cancel it, if your happy then cancel directv.

Since you already have Comcast for internet, the best pricing is going to be Comcast.

You cant say that for sure. Directv is cheaper for me than any of the local cable packages (even though I cannot get them at my address, I know their pricing and performance as I have clients on them) and I get many more channels and better equipment.

Make sure to factor in additional receiver/set top box fees and after promo rates.

i use dish network. the quality is great, but they do have hidden fees when you upgrade/change your package, and of course since its satellite it's basically a nightmare to get native DVR support on a computer- even if you throw a lot of money at it. also, i would say dish network's prices arent much different then comcast... dish used to be really cheap, it just isnt the case anymore.

for a media center computer, digital cable is going to give you far less headaches.

comcast hd looks great in seattle area.

My rents have Comcast in South Jersey and it looks like crap compared to my cablevision HD channels. Can really tell its compressed; macro blocking etc.

That said Cablevision is using SDV already so it makes cablecard kinda useless until the new tuners/firmware come out. (and why im using HD-PVR instead).

Back