direct wire laptop power supply?

onetrueday

[H]ard|Gawd

I'm working on my girlfriends compaq v6000 laptop. The power connector was having continued problems staying connected. Then, it stopped maintaining a power connection altogether.

I can purchase a replacement power connector, however I am poor and the laptop might not be worth the $50 for a new power connector.

Looking at the image above, I noticed that the external power brick has two wires; red and blue. can I directly connect those wires or will that fry the laptop? Is the circuitry on the small board for more then just the usb interface.

thanks for any suggestions.

Tom

There's no way to reliably do that as the voltage regulator and also one of your USB ports is on that power circuit board, sorry. You could (and probably would) "fry" the laptop by trying a direct connection as you have no actual idea what the voltage regulator is doing and how much it's converting the voltage/amperage levels before passing it out through that connector to the system board.

If she likes the laptop, and having it working again will put a smile on her face, that's worth the $50... go sell some blood plasma or something, two trips in a week and that'll cover the $50 + some cash in your pocket. :D

He could also sell some other fluids and make more money. I hear Octomom is in the market again.

Ebay my friend, ebay. Look for a replacement there.

Back