Direct Networking

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
I don't know much about networking.. so asking and getting told you're stoopid seems like a good idea :D

What is the best way to "network" two computers directly?

For instance, What I'd like to do is build a Dual-Core Dual XEON and offload the file subsystem on a different machine; probably another workstation. I do alot of scientific/engineering stuff (structural engineer, tend to write my own software); as well as media manipulation (video, PS etc..)

So- What is the baddess-ass way of directly connecting two computers? I am not neccessarily looking for a file server, full network or a near-line solution. I just want to dump file management on a different machine-

Ideally I would like to have 4 machines. 1 Production/Workstation machine- 1 "storage machine"- and 1 "Media Machine". Where the 2 specific machines could connect directly to the storage machine. And the 4th would be a HTPC leeching off the media machine.

As far as the networking goes, a 4 port router and windows is all you really need. If you want to appear [H]ard and can throw money(and or time) at it, you can get server software, linux, cisco routers, hardware firewalls...etc.

Just by connecting the computers to a router(or even a switch/hub if your really cheap) and setting up some shares(and not forgetting to unblock file/printer sharing on any firewalls, and setting up permissions...) or even a simple file or web server will accomplish the networking part. I would advise to go with Interface cards of the gigabit persuasion and also a router that will support gigabit speed on the LAN side if you plan on transferring large files over the network frequently. The "networking" side is easy, setting up a file server that does what you want it to do will call for some tailoring.

Xipher said:
You could just use a crossover cable, and staticly assign IPs

What he said. You dont need a router or switch or any of that. Just a 5 dollar crossover cable and static ip assigment.

Just do a simple 192.168.1.1 for one computer and 192.168.1.2 for the other both having a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

Xipher said:
You could just use a crossover cable, and staticly assign IPs

Yes, that works well for two PC's.

When you go to 3 or 4 machines you can get a 4 port router pretty cheap. Linksys, Netgear, Dlink and many others make them for $50-$100.

Back