DIR-655 won't acknowledge the existence of my client bridge.

GushpinBob

2[H]4U
I'm seriously out of ideas short of replacing the D-link.

I've recently purchased a Buffalo WHR-HP-GN flashed with the latest version of DD-WRT with plans involving its use as a client bridge and I have had nothing but problems trying to get this thing connected to my wireless network in client bridge mode. The closest I've gotten to getting this thing connected to my network is by setting the Buffalo to 'G-Only' mode and setting the security to 'WPA2-Mixed' with 'TKIP-only' for the encryption, however I can only ping the D-link via my notebook and the DD-WRT web interface; no other devices nor the router can ping the laptop or the WHR (Neither of them are listed in the 'connected clients' page on the D-link's web interface). The Buffalo works brilliantly when pairing it with an old WRT54G that I've dug out of the closet and a friend's WZR-HP-300NH.

With the WHR-HP-GN, so far I have:
1. Flashed the Buffalo 'Professional' (really DD-WRT with their own branding) firmware to the latest DD-WRT release compatible with the router.
2. Flashed the firmware to the second newest release of DD-WRT.
3. Flashed the firmware back to stock, then to Buffalo's alpha release of their 'Professional' firmware, then to their 'User-Friendly' (read: proprietary) firmware.
4. Flashed the firmware back to the latest DD-WRT version.
5. Set the wireless properties to 'G-only', encryption to WPA2/WPA-PSK TKIP (the closest I've been to connecting this bridge to the network, though no other device including the DIR-655 can see the bridge or the laptop it's connected to).
6. Same as #5 except tweaking with different combinations of wireless modes, channel widths, and security + encryption schemes (WPA only, WPA2 only, TKIP or AES, no security).

With the DIR-655, so far I've tried
1. Power cycling it.
2. Flashing the firmware from 1.21 to the latest (I think 1.35NA).
3. Falling back to 'G-only' mode with various encryption schemes (including none).
4. Set it to 'N-only' with various encryption schemes.
5. Meddled with different channels and channel widths.

That's about it. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the WHR as it works great with different routers/APs. Maybe I've just experienced my first caveat with owning a router that was manufactured two years before 802.11n was ratified as a standard?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Well, today I gave in and picked up a WZR-HP-G300NH myself, deciding an early retirement for the D-Link. A shame, but I've also noticed better range using the new router despite it having 2/3 the antennas of the DIR. Also the DD-WRT compatibility is always a plus, something I would never see on the D-link.

the d-link 655 is lousy and plagued with buggy firmware. i have one sitting around being used as a $120 4 port gigabit switch.

the d-link 655 is lousy and plagued with buggy firmware. i have one sitting around being used as a $120 4 port gigabit switch.

Sorry to hear about that. :/

Mine OTOH was acting superb for about 3 years up until I got the Buffalo. Then again, I have been sitting on the 1.21 firmware since I've been hearing nothing but bad things about the following fw updates. Unfortunately, I've brought it up up to version 1.35 hoping that it would fix the compatibility issue, but instead I've probably turned my router into a pos.

Back