DIR-655 slow transfer speeds

cj3waker

2[H]4U
Ive been doing everything I can to try to enhance transfer speeds between my home server and desktop pc

home server
1155 i3
windows 7
SSD (data is usually on the spindle disks, Im just doing this for test)
Intel gigabit CT (connected at 1gbps)

cat 6

dir 655

cat 6

desktop
1156 i5
windows 7
ssd
intel gigabit CT (connected at 1gbps)

Just drag and drop copying on my network, a 7gb file started at 20mbps and immediately dropped to ~11mbps where it stays.

I took the time to run cat 6, bought a decent router, and (2) intel NICs, I feel like I should be getting much better transfer speeds than this, any ideas?

11MB/sec is about what you'd expect from 100megabit ethernet; make sure all links are really up at 1 Gig.

I found enabling Jumbo Frames helps with transfers, especially big files. The tools previously mentioned helped me test settings. I average 43-46MB transfers, but Iperf shows I could get better if I had faster drives. I have the same router as you mention but recently changed for better wireless performance.

I have had a lot of problems with the PHY's on my DIR-655 and DIR-825's in them showing full 1GBPS but as you see getting poor transfer rates

Using a crossover cable (or a straight through in most cases - NIC's are smarter nowadays) plug the two directly to each other, set them to static IP's and try it again. Easiest way to eliminate the router (or pinpoint) it as the issue

tried jumbo packets, it actually made it slower. dropped from my stead 11-12mbps to around 9. Ill try to test via a straight crossover as well, but its gonna take some time due to my setup

Do you have any other computers connected to the network with 10/100 NICs?
I don't think the 655 allows mixed network speeds.

In your connection properties is it actually connecting at 1 Gbit?

I have almost the exact same setup and my comps burst 120 MB/sec for the first 20 seconds and then sustain 90 MB/sec easily for a 15GB file. Even copying multiple files it will sustain large transfers. I'm using a DIR-655 as well.

There's probably 100 feet of Cat6 cord betwen the comps.

its probably the D-link causing the issues. If you want a full line speed switch check out the Procurve 1410 series.

definetely connected at 1gbps, those 2 pcs are the only wired things on the network, so nothing else could be slowing it down

Back