DIR-615 E1 firmware alternatives

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
seems that its a pretty nice piece of hardware based on specs but the factory firmware must be hampering it....its brand new and if even two clients get on the connection at once doing minimal things there is noticeable slowdown......

DD-WRT support for the E1 hardware revision seems sketchy but workable....had DD-WRT on the Linksys WRT54G it replaced, it worked ok

Tomato...is that even an option? is it Broadcom only? because this is Atheros based

OpenWRT?

any alternatives to get the best performance from this router? something that is more streamlined? i dont need all those fancy features of even the stock firmware....a basic way to poke ports through it and something to manage QoS per port would be nice.....

any suggestions that will flash to this one?

I had to install dlinks new firmware to my dir-615 C1.... sheesh, pain in the arse for me (not the flashing, but the router itself).

much better now ?

I found my own thread here via a Google search while trying to find info on opening this thing up and applying heatsinks to hot components. Yes, with DD-WRT the speed is better. I have had to resort to enabling a daily reboot at like 3am or else the wireless goes dead. Wired still hums along nicely, but wireless just becomes unresponsive and stops broadcasting the SSID as well. Some days it works fine but it was pretty rare to go three or more days without having to power cycle it so i set up the reboot every day. So I am guessing adding heatsinks can only help. Wondering if the wireless chipset is getting too hot and locking up? The router continues to function otherwise which leads me to believe the cpu isn't the problem.

I have the same router, Out of the box the firmware sucked. Flashed to C1, Flashed to DD-Wrt. Boom. Now it is a useable router.

I sort of just dealt with the wireless issue. If you set it to restart at a time when your not awake. like 4 am, its down for all of 2 minutes, whats the problem?

I sort of just dealt with the wireless issue. If you set it to restart at a time when your not awake. like 4 am, its down for all of 2 minutes, whats the problem?

There is no problem, thats precisely what I did. I just think it's lame that you can't buy a decent inexpensive router these days that can't handle a lightly used WiFi signal more than two days in a row without locking up or flaking out otherwise.

Back