Dimm A_1 and A_2 dont work?

im at my wits end with this, i just got a new Asrock z97x killer board to replace my extreme 4 that seemed to have died on me, but i am experiencing an odd issue. It seems as though the first two dimm slots are nonresponsive, populating them causes the motherboard to fail to post. My ram is definitely good Crucial Ballistix Elite 8gb sticks @ 1866 x3, and populating the DIMM's with other ram also causes this failure. any suggestions that dont involve clearing the CMOS as that has not seemed to have helped. I have tried to manually set the settings of each stick to the same (even though they already are) i have gotten a new i5-4670k to replace the old one (thought the memory controller was bad) and im still stuck. Dimm B_1 and B_2 work fine.

ugh i guess i must have bad luck, the extreme 4 i replaced had a similar issue, which is why i bought the z97x, could i be doing something during install that is breaking the slots? everything was working fine until bloody teusday.....

pretty hard to break a ram slot, did you bend any pins on the cpu socket?

You got to remember as well asrock is a value brand, if you look at the reviews on their products that have been out for a while you will notice a higher number of doa/failures on products than other companies.

I bought an open box asrock mobo and the integrated remote didn't work. I kept the board anyway as I got it for about 70% off, the remote decided to start working randomly after a year of owning it.

yea i am clearing out a test bench since i now have 2 mobos, 2 cpus, 3 sticks of ram, 2 psu's, im going to take everything out, check the pins in the sockets of both, and test them all. Thankfully 30 day return policy gives me time to figure this out. any other things you think i should check? i have heard of checking the cpu HSF screws and such.

yea i am clearing out a test bench since i now have 2 mobos, 2 cpus, 3 sticks of ram, 2 psu's, im going to take everything out, check the pins in the sockets of both, and test them all. Thankfully 30 day return policy gives me time to figure this out. any other things you think i should check? i have heard of checking the cpu HSF screws and such.

Hi,

Try installing the RAM with the mobo on the test bench. Board flex may be preventing you from seating the RAM when the mobo is installed in the case. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

thanks will try, keep the suggestions coming so i can hammer them all out at once later today or tomorrow!

try also reseating in different ram slots. certain asus motherboards i get here at work just require some reseating for some unknown reason. we bought 6 extra dimms just to test these other slots. we have significantly more RMA's now from asus because we can catch it before we deliver. i didnt think this problem really happened at all until i started PC building at a company. now i find it all the time :-/

It's probably the CPU and not the board, sir.

I recently got a little bit of conductive thermal material on the bottom of my CPU (the Liquid Pro stuff, there was a spec of it in the little plastic CPU tray I had set the cpu in and it got on the chip). I loaded the chip in without noticing. I then experienced what you have, 2 dead RAM slots such that I couldn't make use of dual channel. I was pretty bummed, I took the chip out and took a good look at it with a magnifying glass and found the spot/s of liquid pro on the bottom of the chip. I applied some Arctic Clean thermal material remover and used a micro fiber cloth to clean the chip. Popped it back in, RAM fired up.

Oh... Damn. I didn't realize that was the diagnosis :(
If it makes you feel any better I destroyed my z87 hero yesterday by installing my CPU in the wrong direction. Tried to align the pins and one came off like a dandelion petal.

I don't know what happened exactly, but does sound like there's been pin damage on the mobo... OP you sure the CPU is no good? They are kinda hard to kill... I've been doing all kinds of stupid crap to mine for the last few months and it's still kicking somehow. I dropped it on my psu from the socket yesterday (just before I killed my motherboard) and it bounced. I figured it was toast and I was all upset so that's probably why I put it in wrong.

i can check again, i still have the old cpu, thing is there didnt seem to be any bent pins in the asrock cpu socket, and it wouldnt post with cpu 1 and would post fine with cpu 2

Back