• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dim screen on my laptop

Which Part Needs to Replace?

  • Invertor

    Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Backlight

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cable

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    5

beyonddc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
418
I've an IBM T20 Thinkpad. It's about 4-5 years old.

The last 2 years, I been having problem with the LCD screen. It will get dimmed all of the sudden or dimmed when I first boot the machine. But I'm able to regain the color after folding up or hitting the lcd screen softly.

Finally, the last couple of days, the trick that I mentioned no longer work.

I did a little research, and I see there're 3 possible things that I could look into.
1. Invertor
2. Backlight bulb
3. LCD cable (cable connects from the lcd to the motherboard)

I'm not sure which part I should get, because I don't know which part is not working. I'm just wondering base on the scenario I provided, is there anyone know or take a good guess which part went wrong?


Thanks!!
 
Inverter.

If the backlight was bad, it wouldn't light. PERIOD

Cable you would have to physically twist that area of the laptop to get it to reconnect, not thump it.

Seen this dozens of times, it's the inverter.
 
All right, that's what I'm thinking too.
I also believe that I've a faulty inverter.

I just made a purchase on ebay on an inverter for my T20 laptop.

$3.99 + $6.00shipping

Hopefully my 10 dollars investment will fix my laptop.
 
beyonddc said:
All right, that's what I'm thinking too.
I also believe that I've a faulty inverter.

I just made a purchase on ebay on an inverter for my T20 laptop.

$3.99 + $6.00shipping

Hopefully my 10 dollars investment will fix my laptop.

WOW!! THAT is hella cheap for an inverter! I remember paying upwards of $40 a pop for those babies back in the day.
 
yeah I'm pretty sure that's the inverter. My thinkpad 600e did that (the thing is circa 1999, just for reference) and if I kinda flexed the screen it would come back. But after a few months of doing that it has pretty much given up. But it's okay I picked up a refurb x24 to replace it :cool:
 
Just replaced the inverter today.
No luck! :(

1 down 2 to go...

Cable or backlight problem....

Maybe it doens't even worth to save this laptop.
Mind as well just to get a new one.
 
check the connection on both sides, (motherboard and LCD) they can be very touchy...
 
Back
Top