[DigitalTrends] Haswell-E, X99 features and likely price for one board?

octoberasian

2[H]4U
From DigitalTrends:
With Haswell-E, Intel will retire 4-core configurations, and offer buyers a choice of 6- and 8-core processors with up to 20MB of L3 cache, as well as hyper threading via up to 16 logical cores, for up to 16 threads. Intel is claiming increased performance by as much as 33 to 50 percent.
Rehashed information but this is more feature-packed than the older X79 chipset. Thank goodness Intel fixed this. Motherboard is to coincide with Haswell-E release around September this year according to the article.

An interesting note was at the end of the article mentioning a high-end board from MSI showcased at this year's Computex. This X99 motherboard is going to cost $999 when released.
MSI, for instance, will release a Haswell-E motherboard featuring the high-performance Core i7-5960X CPU with eight cores and 16 threads. It will come at a rather steep $999 US price tag, though, which will make for some rather expensive PCs.
So, early adopters looking for a new high-end enthusiast board, are likely going to be spending quite a lot for the first X99 boards coming out in September. This plus the likely high price of the first DDR4 RAM, I would not be surprised a Haswell-E based system to cost at least two times more than SVB-E and IVB-E on X79 before it.

Hopefully, mid-range X99 boards will be significantly cheaper.

Why would they say the MSI board is featuring the 5690X if it was 999 for the board alone.

Mad[H]atter;1040900027 said:
Why would they say the MSI board is featuring the 5690X if it was 999 for the board alone.
That has to be a typo because I assume the 5960X is going to cost at least $999 or $1299 (if going by 4960X pricing) separately.

So, that has to be the price of the board itself from MSI.

Mad[H]atter;1040900029 said:
That's a pretty confusing typo :p
Aye, it is. I had to re-read it a few times.

I highly doubt an MSI desktop gaming PC is going to cost $999 with a 5960X in it. No way unless Hell froze over and all that jazz. That definitely has to be the price of the board. :eek:

Well, if that's true and it's $999 for a high-end board, $999-1299 for CPU and the DDR4 premium, my goodness! Might as well spring for a couple of those dual Titan cards too! :p

Mad[H]atter;1040900034 said:
Well, if that's true and it's $999 for a high-end board, $999-1299 for CPU and the DDR4 premium, my goodness! Might as well spring for a couple of those dual Titan cards too! :p
Time to start buying Lottery Scratchers between now and September. :p

Not exactly sure what they can pack onto a motherboard to make it cost $1000. From what I've seen, it takes an onboard LSI chip with two PLX chips to push a board into the $600 territory, let alone $1000.

Yeah, they're probably just talking about the CPU. It's probably supposed to read something like "MSI is preparing a high end board to support the 5960x, which would probably cost around $1000."

If so, there's a bit of sensationalizing on their part, as the top tier chip has always cost $1000, and DDR4 isn't going to carry that much of a premium (I estimate about 20-25% premium over DDR3 for same size and speed).

25% isn't much of a premium to you? :p Wanna buy a car? :D At least it's not expected to be 200-300% like the last DDR transition :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Mad[H]atter;1040900071 said:
25% isn't much of a premium to you? :p Wanna buy a car? :D At least it's not expected to be 200-300% like the last DDR transition :p

Assuming a 4x4gb set, $150 to $175-$200 isn't a large amount when the entire computer costs more than $1500 :p (assuming completely new computer).

Even with a 4x8gb set, $300 to $400 isn't that much. It just makes a $1400 computer $1500, less than 10%.

But in any case, I'm not going to be one of those early adopters that pay the premium. I'm just hoping it drives down 4930k prices :D

Yah if it's 20-25% in the scheme of things you're right it's low considering overall cost. Unfortunately no ITX = none for me :( I don't feel like changing out my case, cooling, etc. :p

I find it really hard to believe that MSI board will be $999. Almost certainly just a badly worded sentence.

Even up till summer of 2013, companies wanted upwards of $400 for the x79 board.

Back