Digital Transition ruined my media center PC

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
As many have begun experiencing, the digital transition by cable providers have crippled individuals Media Center PCs.

Comcast has transtioned to digital in my area (Minneapolis, MN), and now my TV Tuner cannot accept their signal. They are broadcasting encrypted channels, and Clear QAM tuners cannot do anything with it. You are now required to have a DTA to decrypt. You can display on WMC still, but it has to be on channel 3/4 only, and you have to change channels using the DTA. It's like the original VCR days when you had to tune your TV to the channel you wanted to record and walk away. You can't say record channel 23 at 8pm, unless you go change the DTA to channel 23, before your desired show starts.

Gone are the days of plugging the cable from your wall into a Haupage TV Tuner, and getting the capability of recording any channels you so please. Now the only option appears to be to plug into the Clear QAM tuner, and get a handful of digitally broadcast chanels. Analog is pushing nothing anymore.

From all my reading and research, the only way to bring back the old experience (for those that have been transitioned) is to purchase a cableCARD. They are both much more expensicve then typical TV tuners, and appear to be imposssible to find.

Looks lie cable companies will be driving up their profits soon, with DVR and other equipment rentals. :(

As many have begun experiencing, the digital transition by cable providers have crippled individuals Media Center PCs.

Comcast has transtioned to digital in my area (Minneapolis, MN), and now my TV Tuner cannot accept their signal. They are broadcasting encrypted channels, and Clear QAM tuners cannot do anything with it. You are now required to have a DTA to decrypt. You can display on WMC still, but it has to be on channel 3/4 only, and you have to change channels using the DTA. It's like the original VCR days when you had to tune your TV to the channel you wanted to record and walk away. You can't say record channel 23 at 8pm, unless you go change the DTA to channel 23, before your desired show starts.

Gone are the days of plugging the cable from your wall into a Haupage TV Tuner, and getting the capability of recording any channels you so please. Now the only option appears to be to plug into the Clear QAM tuner, and get a handful of digitally broadcast chanels. Analog is pushing nothing anymore.

From all my reading and research, the only way to bring back the old experience (for those that have been transitioned) is to purchase a cableCARD. They are both much more expensicve then typical TV tuners, and appear to be imposssible to find.

Looks lie cable companies will be driving up their profits soon, with DVR and other equipment rentals. :(

That's a pretty accurate assessment. I hadn't known about the transition really when I put my TV Tuner into my computer. Since doing so the tuner card has had pretty much zero usage. On the upside my media center doesn't require much in the way of storage capacity since it isn't being used as a DVR. Really all I use it for now is playing content from Hulu or any content I've downloaded as well as DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD playback.

That's a pretty accurate assessment. I hadn't known about the transition really when I put my TV Tuner into my computer. Since doing so the tuner card has had pretty much zero usage. On the upside my media center doesn't require much in the way of storage capacity since it isn't being used as a DVR. Really all I use it for now is playing content from Hulu or any content I've downloaded as well as DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD playback.

That's exactly what I'm using mine for now as well. That, plus I receive 15 local QAM channels. It allows me to record about 25% of the stuff I did before.

My hope is that the digital transition will cause an increased demand for cableCARD solutions, thus increasing production, and companies producing them. Maybe we'll see available cableCARD solutions for < $200 in the next year. Time will well.

I lost all my channels too, so I gave up and rebuilt my media PC into a nice desktop and I'm playing games instead of watching TV. It does seem like a step backwards, but it's not like they dropped the change with no notice -- they've been warning for about a year now that it was going to happen. As you mentioned, you need a cable card tuner to continue to use it like you did before the change. The good news is you get more than you did before, but the bad is that it's very expensive and in high demand.

I can't spend more on my media PC to watch cable. That $5 rental fee doesn't seem so bad any more....

Why not use an IR blaster to control your comcast digital boxes? I've got two NTSC standard def tuners (hvr 1600's) and I use the IR blaster built into my IR header to change the channels and media center functions normally and can record everything from the box and it changes the channels for you.

Couple options:

A - Use an IR blaster like kwik said
B - go to antennaweb.org and see what an antenna might get you
C - Cancel Comcast and go with Hulu/Online Content, Netflix, etc
D - Switch providers to DirecTV or Dish (still need an ir blaster)

Couple options:

A - Use an IR blaster like kwik said
B - go to antennaweb.org and see what an antenna might get you
C - Cancel Comcast and go with Hulu/Online Content, Netflix, etc
D - Switch providers to DirecTV or Dish (still need an ir blaster)

Honestly, the solution I've got now is fine. I don't really need to record things on my HTPC to be happy with it. I'm happy with my U-Verse TV. I can record 4 programs at once, 3 of which can be HD channels. I don't care to store these items indefinitely either. I still use the machine to watch DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray discs which is again enough right now. Online content via Hulu fills in the gaps of whatever I might have missed on my normal programing DVR. I'm not interested in Dish Network or Direct TV. I've had those before and wasn't happy with either of them.

So you pay for cable or no?

If you pay for it, you can use a Hauppauge. if you dont pay for it, well all good things come to an end

I've got U-Verse TV which can be set up to use RJ-45 instead of RG6. That's the way its done at my house. So yeah, I more or less pay for cable. Its a TV provider, so I guess the answer is yes.

1. Centron has a nice cable card that is slowly becoming more available that works with 7.

2. Seems that SageTV is heading down the path which is a bonus over 7 since it supports extenders.

So really, you win both ways...the pretty GUI of 7 w/o extenders or blah GUI of Sage w/ extenders. Just a small bump in the road of Media PC's.

Why not use an IR blaster to control your comcast digital boxes? I've got two NTSC standard def tuners (hvr 1600's) and I use the IR blaster built into my IR header to change the channels and media center functions normally and can record everything from the box and it changes the channels for you.

In the scenario you mention, will the WMC guide function the same? Where I can cherry pick a variety of programs to record through the day (varrying channels), and will it record all of options automatically, changing to the appropriate channel at the right time?

In the scenario you mention, will the WMC guide function the same? Where I can cherry pick a variety of programs to record through the day (varrying channels), and will it record all of options automatically, changing to the appropriate channel at the right time?

Yes...but why would you think it wouldn't? So many negative norms in threads these days. :D

Yes...but why would you think it wouldn't? So many negative norms in threads these days. :D

The reason I think it wouldn't is do to the digital transition, WMC has to stay on channel 3 at all times to view the channels from the DTA. Therefore, the only way this would work is if WMC could stay on Ch3, and the IR Blaster change the DTA to the request channel, but while leaving WMC on 3.

If the WMC channel changes off 3, it loses the signal from the DTA.

There are a lot of threads and articles out there which make this seem to not work. If it can do what I stated above, then that would be great. If it can't, then I'm back to treating WMC like a VCR to record, and tuning to the desired chaneel myself; or purchasing a cableCARD.

Yes it may actually even work better (better in the sense that you may have more channels with your DTA).

How I set it up:

COAX FROM WALL >> DTA BOX >> RCA CABLES INTO TUNER

and

Hewlett Packard USB IR Sensor with IR blaster >> small IR blaser header aimed at the ir sensor of the DTA box.

I deleted the tuner from media center, and resetup TV. It noticed I was plugged into RCA and asked if I had a set top box, I put in the mfgr, it tested a few codes and how the channels were put in.

When it asked who my content provider was for the guide I chose my city and then Comcast DIGITAL. Once that was done I had to remove a few channels from the list I wasn't paying for, but other than that it's smooth sailing. I can go ahead and record things on different channels again.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5187-4592-BULK&cat=SYS Is the exact model I have, and in the back of the USB receiver is where that IR blaster pictured plugs into.

did you use the cable from the HP device or the ones that came from comcast. I have an original MCE 2005 remote and never got it to work. Also, how many devices does the HP remote control? if it's just one I'm just going to continue with moving the equipment on to a new use.

The Happauge Cards or hd pvr card I cant recall, has the ability to take the signal out of your cable box. Check their website again.

The Happauge Cards or hd pvr card I cant recall, has the ability to take the signal out of your cable box. Check their website again.

We need a big sticky on this, LOL. The ONLY way to get HD from your cable box to your PC is the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It takes component from your cable box, and sends it to your PC via USB. Any solution that goes through a tuner card from your cable box, is standard def. Some cable systems (like mine) let you take the cable direct from the wall, and using Clear QAM to receive the Networks in HD (via my Avermedia Duet tuner card). There are a couple of HDMI input cards, one from Avermedia, another from Black Magic. Both have DRM issues, from what I hear, and will not work with Media Center.
The best solution is Cablecard, but it is expensive, and there is a waiting list for the Ceton cards right now.

how about hd? I don't have component / hdmi inputs on my computer :( Where to go for this type of thing? Any of you worked this out? (obligatory lmgtfy.com)

Either way, $14 for the hp thinger works for me!
The HVR 1600 PCI TV tuner card takes, SVideo, RCA composite (yellow, red, white), or coax in. I am using the RCA composite out of the DTV box into my HVR1600. (yes its standard def only).

did you use the cable from the HP device or the ones that came from comcast. I have an original MCE 2005 remote and never got it to work. Also, how many devices does the HP remote control? if it's just one I'm just going to continue with moving the equipment on to a new use.

Okay I found the guide for setup I used for my crappy digital boxes the freebies they give you. The usb device will control two comcast boxes, though I used two different boxes, not two of the same so I don't know how two similar boxes would work together.

Tutorial: http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/tips-tricks-how-tos/comcast-dta-mce-setup-steps/

Analog was on its way out regardless. It takes up far too much valuable bandwidth. And dont think you are alone to have suffered through it. Thousands upon thousands of dollars of equipment were lost when Sat went digital. But now much more content can come through.

Something has to give. There is only so much you can do with an over 50 years old coax cable system. And people are using it more and more for HD video and they want more channels. With Analog gone for instance now they have the option of lifting more effects on the 250GB bandwidth limit.

Last edited:
i did coax out from the digital cable box to the happauge card when i first got it and it showed HD source in 4:3 boarders, imagine the widescreen stuff on IFC but smaller... i'll figure it out when i get home.

Last edited:
We need a big sticky on this, LOL. The ONLY way to get HD from your cable box to your PC is the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It takes component from your cable box, and sends it to your PC via USB. Any solution that goes through a tuner card from your cable box, is standard def. Some cable systems (like mine) let you take the cable direct from the wall, and using Clear QAM to receive the Networks in HD (via my Avermedia Duet tuner card). There are a couple of HDMI input cards, one from Avermedia, another from Black Magic. Both have DRM issues, from what I hear, and will not work with Media Center.
The best solution is Cablecard, but it is expensive, and there is a waiting list for the Ceton cards right now.

This is exactly what I am doing, I have the cable right into my happauge and it picks up the clearqam hd channels. His problem was he cant see the encrypted ones. I believe I did mention the hd-pvr in my post.

i did coax out from the digital cable box to the happauge card when i first got it and it showed HD source in 4:3 boarders, imagine the widescreen stuff on IFC but smaller... i'll figure it out when i get home.

you sure you were watching a digital channel and not analog? When i first set mine up it found all the analogs and i couldnt find the digitals. I had to manually edit the guide to enable the digitals it found, now all the hd channels work perfectly and if it is broadcast in widescreen it fills my screen perfectly.

Just buy a Ceton cable card tuner or pick up one or two of the ATI Digital Cable tuners off of Ebay if you don't want to spend $400 for the Ceton.

you sure you were watching a digital channel and not analog? When i first set mine up it found all the analogs and i couldnt find the digitals. I had to manually edit the guide to enable the digitals it found, now all the hd channels work perfectly and if it is broadcast in widescreen it fills my screen perfectly.

yeah, i'll give it a go in a few minutes when home.

i remembered what was wrong now. i just didn't have a working ir blaster so wmc wouldn't allow the goodness through coax. then the happauge player thing was the one that didn't show stuff in hd... sooo i've orderd that hp usb jobber.

So you pay for cable or no?

If you pay for it, you can use a Hauppauge. if you dont pay for it, well all good things come to an end

I pay for cable. $12/month for the locals only. I use a Hauppauge 2250 on one machine and a HDHomerun on the lan for all machines to tune the unencrypted digital local stations.

In theory, my cable company could reconfigure this setup so I could only get the locals SD versions and block me from getting the HD locals. They already futz the guide info so Win7 MC will not properly map the channels to the proper local channel numbers, but I manually work around that whereas many people never figure it out and simply go rent the digital box for $10 a month.

I'm guessing their next move will be to block my Hauppauge from getting any clear QAM channels. Would that make you happy then, theresidentevil?

Sure sounds like it.

Back