Digital Studio Monitors

King of Heroes

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2008
Messages
2,006
I've been searching around for a set of 2.0 speakers that supported digital output. Up until very recently, it seemed the only way to take advantage of digital output was to buy an expensive receiver and nearly as expensive speakers to go with them. However, while digging through Newegg I found these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836196007 (They are sold out at the moment)

It can take 24-bit/192Khz digital audio, the price looks very good, and its 2.0, so no giant 5.1 or 7.1 configs to worry about. I plugged these into Google and so far I haven't seen a single (legit) comprehensive review for them anywhere, which kind of surprises me. So I was hoping someone here might've had experience with these or at least the company that makes them. Does anyone know anything about these speakers, particularly how good they sound?
 
Behringer typically makes decent low-end stuff. They are almost guaranteed to be a Mackie knock-off since that's how Behringer rolls. For the money they should be decent, but don't expect anything high-end from them.
 
Because Behringer steals other companies' good designs, their gear tends to perform decently. However, they make their price-point by using cheap components, so expect a very high failure and frustration rate with Behringer gear.

Even so, $99 a pair for powered monitors with a built-in processor of sorts? That's flea-market territory. Looking at the specs shows a truly horrible design... it's not 20 watts each, it's 10 watts per (e.g. T-amp level juice). And the woofers are a little over 3.5" in diameter, so these are NOT going to have any meaningful bass. At 4.5 lbs for the non-amp'd box, these are very tiny little guys.

Here's a question: why do you need to use digital out for stereo? Does your sound card's analog out sound horrible, or is it onboard audio or something like that?

At that price, I'd really rather be looking at a T-amp and some cheap (real) bookshelves, like Insignias/Polks/Infinitys. No it's not digital input, but then I'd sooner trust my sound card's DAC than whatever the Behringers are using.
 
Even so, $99 a pair for powered monitors with a built-in processor of sorts? That's flea-market territory.
Couldn't agree more. There are some pretty damn good 'digital' monitors out there, from the likes of Digidesign (RM1 and RM2), Genelec (8100 and 8200 series), Tannoy, JBL and others, but not anywhere near $99. I probably wouldn't even conceive of paying less than about $600/each for digital-ready studio monitors, and you'll find very few below this price point regardless.

I'm trying to think of an inexpensive way to go digital, but there really isn't one. Still, good receivers can be had for cheap, and there are plenty of cheap but decent entry-level speakers to pair with it. You're looking at between $250 and $300 for a capable 2.0 setup this way, where a $500 budget really starts allowing you to get some really solid components.
 
Because Behringer steals other companies' good designs, their gear tends to perform decently. However, they make their price-point by using cheap components, so expect a very high failure and frustration rate with Behringer gear.

Even so, $99 a pair for powered monitors with a built-in processor of sorts? That's flea-market territory. Looking at the specs shows a truly horrible design... it's not 20 watts each, it's 10 watts per (e.g. T-amp level juice). And the woofers are a little over 3.5" in diameter, so these are NOT going to have any meaningful bass. At 4.5 lbs for the non-amp'd box, these are very tiny little guys.

Here's a question: why do you need to use digital out for stereo? Does your sound card's analog out sound horrible, or is it onboard audio or something like that?

At that price, I'd really rather be looking at a T-amp and some cheap (real) bookshelves, like Insignias/Polks/Infinitys. No it's not digital input, but then I'd sooner trust my sound card's DAC than whatever the Behringers are using.

Well, based on comments here and elsewhere, I'll be staying far away from the Behringers. Thanks to everyone who posted for the prompt advice, it saved me from a bad purchase.

I was looking for stereo digital out mainly because I wanted to move toward higher quality sound in general (and to move away from Creative). I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer and Klipsch Promedia 2.0 speakers now and so far I haven't been impressed with the combination. I mean, call me nuts, but the Soundblaster Live! 5.1 that it replaced sounded better to me, and the hardware issues with the Promedia 2.0 are well documented.

In any case, I've been advised that digital out is not necessarily the best idea and that I should be focusing on getting a soundcard with high quality DACs, like the Wolfsons on the Chaintech AV-710 (which, regrettably, has been discontinued), and better speakers to go with them.
 
Here's a question: why do you need to use digital out for stereo? Does your sound card's analog out sound horrible, or is it onboard audio or something like that?

At that price, I'd really rather be looking at a T-amp and some cheap (real) bookshelves, like Insignias/Polks/Infinitys. No it's not digital input, but then I'd sooner trust my sound card's DAC than whatever the Behringers are using.

I think that's good advice, especially if your sound card has a decent DAC.

Here's a question: My sound card ( M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 sound card ) has analog RCA outs. Would the T-amp be the way to power the some cheap (real) bookshelves, like Insignias/Polks/Infinitys, or are there better inexpensive alternatives to power cheap bookshelves? Or would powered speakers like The Audioengine 2 (A2) be a better sounding solution?
 
Back
Top