• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Digital Speakers, Analog-Only Output

Ziel

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
21
This story starts all the way back in 2000. We got our first computer (a Gateway), and my parents put a lot of upgrades into it. One of which was adding a sound card, and upgrading the speakers. They got a set of Boston Acoustics BA735's, the digital-only version. They work great, have good sound and everything.

Last week, I finally got them to let me build them a new system. I put everything together, and got it all working. I did not put a sound card in. Just planned on using the onboard sound. I temporarily connected plugged in the monitor's built-in speakers, just to make sure I had all the drivers in and everything.

We finally took the machine upstairs, and I got it all hooked up again, this time using the 735's. Much to my dismay, the sound didn't work. I put the monitor speakers back in, and they worked, so it wasn't a driver issue. I reconnected the 735's countless times. Nothing. Brought my own speakers and connected them, and they worked. Put the 735's on my computer, and got nothing.

Did a little research on the internet, and finally realized that the problem was an analog/digital dispute. The speakers are digital-only, but the mobo can only put out analog signals. So I tried the obvious, and took the sound card from the old comp and put it in the new one. It's an old SoundBlaster Live Value card. Unfortunately, Vista and the drivers don't agree, so no good there.

So now, we're stuck figuring what we have to do from here. I figure there's two options: Either get different speakers, or get a sound card capable of digital output. Problem is, that I want to fix this as cheaply as possible, while still having decent sound quality. Because of that, I figure the sound card is a better way to go.

I guess the first question is this: Are there any cards out there can can send both analog or digital through the line-out anymore? Obviously the old card could (speaker cable is 3.5mm on computer end, RCA on the other). If so, what would be the cheapest option for this solution?

Or, should I just get a cheap card with digital RCA out, and get an RCA cable for the speakers?

Again, I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for this. Think about as cheap as possible.
 
if you keep your eye out you might be able to get something like this HP branded x-fi @ geeks.com i bought mine about a year ago and love it, it has a digital out via a 3.5mm mini plug on the back which is intended to to be a digital I/O and can supply SPDIF and DD outputs (basicly what ever you need)... this is a mostly featureless x-fi you cannot hook the 5.25 loading (internal) breakout box to it, however the external one should still work. (if you need it...)

regardless i know these are out of stock right now, and i cant tell you the last time i saw them in stock, all i do know is that they are still on geeks website, so i assume they come and go..

honestly, a full retail x-fi might be overkill at the 80+$ level but can be had here-newegg,(note that there are other "x-fi branded" boards at the sub 80$ range on neweggs website, they are not true x-fi cards and do not have the drives nor the digital output you are looking for), at this point you might want to consider the difference between running these older speakers and geting getting a higher end card to drive them, or tossing the speakers (despite that they still work) and getting a set (most likely going to be about the same price range as the sound card) that will just work.
 
Actually, I have the BA-735's and I still use them everyday. What motherboard do you have? All you need is a coaxial digital output, nothing special. I got a $6.60 cable from frontx that takes goes from the spdif header of my motherboard to the input of the BA735's.
 
Actually, I have the BA-735's and I still use them everyday. What motherboard do you have? All you need is a coaxial digital output, nothing special. I got a $6.60 cable from frontx that takes goes from the spdif header of my motherboard to the input of the BA735's.

hmm didnt think about that, alot of motherboards do have digital outputs its just a orange rca plug instead of a fiber optic or 3.5 mm jack.. perhaps a parts list is in order so we know exactly what you have.
 
Here's the board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135085

It's an ECS Black Series GF8200A. Far as I could tell, there's no option for digital output via the 3.5mm.

This was for the most part a budget build. Most expensive component was the tv tuner (only there by special request) which was $80. Would prefer to not have to spend too much on this fix. Basically, if it comes down to another $70 or $80 for a sound card that can run the 735's, or half that for a cheap set of comp speakers, we'll go with the new set of speakers.

That said, I'd much rather be able to put in a sound card and use the 735's than buy cheap speakers, assuming the price is right. I would kinda pain me to have to store away those speakers and replace them with something that won't sound half as good.
 
http://www.frontx.com/store/order_pb.html Look here for the SPDIF connector, note that it might take 1-2 weeks to get to you.
Scroll down to "RCA VIDEO / SPDIF - panel F to 1x3 F" for the SPDIF connector.

In the event your motherboard/sound card has an optical output, get this...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

this wont work he dosent have an spdif on the mother board

/edit he can get one of these cheap ass cards and your adaptor from monoprice and that will get the job done
 
this wont work he dosent have an spdif on the mother board

But he does have SPDIF from the mobo! :cool:

gf8200spdif2.png

8200spdif.png
 
so he dose, i missed it, (not in neweggs tech specs), so now you have a choise both end up being about the same in price with his being just a tad cheaper.
 
Sounds like a great way to get this done, and for cheaper than I even thought would be possible.

I believe the pics and such, but I'll double-check on the mobo just to be sure the connection is there before doing this. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll update once everything is set up and hopefully working.
 
hmm didnt think about that, alot of motherboards do have digital outputs its just a orange rca plug instead of a fiber optic or 3.5 mm jack.. perhaps a parts list is in order so we know exactly what you have.

Thats what I was going to say, what kind of cheap ass mobo doesn't have any kind of digital out these days?
 
Okay... it's been a while now, and we've been caught up in lots of other stuff.

My mom was gonna order that part from frontx, but she was concerned as to why it said 'RCA Video/ spdif'. She wants me to be sure we're getting the right thing because it said 'video' and we're dealing with audio. I told her it'll work just the same, but she wants me to make sure before she gets it.

But I also has my own question about it. The spdif out on the mobo has 4 pins, and that cable only has a three-pin connector. I assume it's fine, cause a lot of those things don't even have a wire running to each pin position anyhow. But I wanted to be sure on that end before buying it.
 
it says video because in the end it is just an adaptor that could be used for many different things including video, the 3 pin vs 4 pin is only becuase that header is capable or receaving data as well, but you only need it to output.. if you really look at it, it may be 3 pin, but its only 2 wire.. pairs, signal send/ground signal receive/ground (and your only useing the signal send/ground pair)

so yes, that is the right one
 
I figured it was fine. Just had to make sure for my mom. She wouldn't buy it until I checked. We'll order the stuff tomorrow.
 
I figured it was fine. Just had to make sure for my mom. She wouldn't buy it until I checked. We'll order the stuff tomorrow.
I've used that exact same FrontX part for coaxial spdif audio and it worked perfectly on a couple of motherboards. They're great when you don't have an spdif port on the back.
 
Digging this thread back out from piles of dust...

We've got the cable, and I just put it in the system. The parents didn't want to do it themselves, so they had to wait until I was back from school.

Anyhow... It's not working. I've enabled the SPDIF output in the sound control panel. It shows that it's trying to send the sound there, but nothing is coming from the speakers (yes, they're plugged in and the volume is cranked). I've tried attaching the cable to the mobo every way i can get it to connect, and don't get anything. I know the speakers still work. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: I just asked the same question to the tech support people over at ECS, so we'll see what they say about it.
 
Last edited:
good luck on a response from ECS tech support, its been three years since I emailed them

as far as the connection, you've tried the cable rightside up and rightside down I assume? the connector on the board is 3 pins, you'll need to know where the gnd and signal pins are on those connectors, in order to connect it to that little cable proper

also, what is your output set to on the computer?

td;dr:
- is the wire actually hot
- is the output setup proper
 
This is one thing that confused me a bit. The connector on the board is actually four pins wide, but only has three pins on it. The third pin from the left does not exist. The gnd and +V wires on the cable are separated by one pin. So the only place I can put it to have both wires going to a pin is to have it on the far right pin and then the second pin from the left. And yes, I've tried it right side up and upside down.

In the control panel, I've gone into the sound options and set the digital output device (SPDIF) as the default playback device. But in the device properties, under jack information, it says it's the rear optical output jack. If I switch it to the standard onboard 3.5mm output (connected to the monitor speakers) I do get sound from the monitor.
 
Last edited:
so I'm guessing this is a lack of proper wiring between the two, you'll likely need to re-wire the pins for the S/PDIF connector to make the connection

sadly, I don't have a pinout (or the time, at least right now, to look one up (I'll see if I can't try to find one later today and post it)) to give you

you could just pull the pin connectors out of the little plastic connector for the S/PDIF wire, and just try out various combos, when you get sound, you've done good, then place them back in the plastic thing the way they need to be for it to work
 
Haha, wow. That hadn't really crossed my mind to even try. But it works now! Of course, they have to be on the first and last pin on the mobo, so I can't even use the little plastic piece. But they seem to be attached firmly enough as it is, so it's all good.

Thanks again to everybody for the help!
 
spdif.jpg


so what you want is pin 1 and pin 4
/edit, got beaten to it, but at least i was right
 
Haha, wow. That hadn't really crossed my mind to even try. But it works now! Of course, they have to be on the first and last pin on the mobo, so I can't even use the little plastic piece. But they seem to be attached firmly enough as it is, so it's all good.

Thanks again to everybody for the help!

glad to hear it
you might steal the plastic end off a CD Analog cable to make it "pretty", if it bugs you

spdif.jpg


so what you want is pin 1 and pin 4
/edit, got beaten to it, but at least i was right

ty for the image :)
 
Back
Top