• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Digital Recording (techno etc)

compuryan

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
356
I'm a n00b at this so bear with me. I got a Yamaha S-90 synth for last christmas, and I'd really like to start making some music. Techno is one of the main things I'd like to tackle.

So here's what I have:

a computer (decent)
yamaha s-90

can I use MIDI to record? or must I get a sound card with analog inputs? (like a creative e-mu). and any preference on software? I've heard cakewalk stuff is good and so is Acid.

I know this isn't what most digital artwork is, but it's definitely digital artwork.

so if anybody knows about this and can reply that'd be amazing, or point me to another forum, that'd be sweet too.

thanks!
 
I would get a Creative Sound Blaster. I think the hot one is the x-fi and i'm not sure what that has going for it but I have an older Sound Blaster on my computer and it has lots of good stuff -- Midi in/out; an extra firewire port; 1/4 in. line in; RCA Aux in; 1/4 headphone out; and great sound quality.

Check out www.MusiciansFriend.com. They have a great selection of recording gear at really low prices. That's where I bought all of my recording stuff.
 
hmm well i do have an x-fi but thats for my gaming rig, and i'm not sure how that'd work for audio creation.

do the programs like acid, cakewalk, and sonar have sounds in them to be controlled by midi? or do the sounds on my synth get sent in through the midi?

OR would it be better to just get something like this creative E-MU: http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=10447
where i could record the analog sounds from my keyboard directly to the synth (vs. MIDI)

btw. any midi experts? my yamaha s-90 has a usb-midi feature, but i can't seem to get the driver working. i was just trying it w/ the program called Finale.
 
Yes, Sonar and Acid both have synths you can program midi tracks for, and it ONLY records the midi data (pitch/velocity) and not the synth patch on your board. If you have a program like Reason or Sonar available to test on, you might try recording some midi in to test the USB/MIDI driver. I have a MIDI controller/keyboard (not a synth) that I use through a USB adapter on the keyboard itself.

You could either use the analog ins or record midi data and use a synth of your choice, or do both with a interface that has the available inputs.

Also, if you choose to compose with Finale, I recommend you check out Sibelius. If your in school you can get it cheap with the student discount--and its miles better in my opinion. I use it all the time for my theory classes.
 
pfffft. creative stuff is really junk. If you're serious at all about audio, forget about it. Get an 0404 or something. you'll be happier in the long run.
 
nick_sabatino said:
pfffft. creative stuff is really junk. If you're serious at all about audio, forget about it. Get an 0404 or something. you'll be happier in the long run.

Dude...Creative is good! :p
 
Back
Top