Digital question

bmx045

n00b
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
24
Alright, I have an Audigy 4 card. I'm completely new to digital sound and really have no idea how it works besides a 3.5mm stereo jack output on the card and my receivers' single RCA digital input. Well I have it hooked up, my receiver is set to COAX: CD....I just chose CD, the options are DVD, CD, TV, VCR, CDR etc... I then switch over the analog signal select on my receiver to digital....and nothing. This receiver is a pioneer vsx-d710s. It has DTS/Dolby "digital signal processor" and such, however I can't hear crap. Do I need to go into audigy console and change the decoding to bypass mode? I'm not sure what I have to do as far as software options go, I usually use analog via a 3.5mm stereo jack-to-rca into my receiver. Help!
 
Hm, that's strange. You have tried this with just normal music? Sometimes DVD software can be a pain to work with, but regular audio should play through no matter what (such as music or computer sounds).

Sounds like you have your receiver setup correctly. My only guess as of right now, is that perhapse your receiver needs to "assign" a digital input to the "CD" input. For instance, if your receiver has multiple Digital imputs (lets say Optical1, Optical2, Coax1, Coax2), you may have to "assign" one of the digital imputs to CD, in your case maybe Coax1 or Coax2. That way, when you change it from analog to digital it is looking at the right digital imput. This is the way Denon receivers work, not sure if it applies to your receiver.

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted.
 
You are right, in the rear it says assignable COAX 1, Opt 1 Opt 2, and in the receiver setup I assigned COAX dig in to CD, and I'm on CD function when listening via analog from the soundcard. I'm just using the basic dual rca's to the CD input in the rear as far as analog goes, and the single rca in for digital in coax. I thought if digital is hooked up, all the sounds from the computer are played, such like analog, but in digital "mode"....hmm...is it okay to have my analog setup plugged into the soundcard as well as the digital IO plugged in? Does the soundcard detect this? But like I asked, do I need to decode in the soundcard? My receiver decodes...so can i chose the bypass option in creative console?
 
I'm not sure if this is the case with the Audigy 4, but, usually, the digital output needs to be enabled in one of the CL programs (the Audio HQ pane should give you this option, as well the THX console). You've probably done this, but I don't think you mentioned it.

I'm not 100% certain that a stereo 3.5mm to RCA adaptor is adequate. You might actually need a mono 3.5mm to RCA adaptor, which has no rings, only a sleeve.

Yeah, you can set the decoder to bypass in the Audio HQ pane. This will spit out the DD/DTS signal if the digital output is active.
 
Hm....

I don't know anywhere I could actually turn on/off Digital output....I have the audigy console, and the creative EAX console...speakers are set to 2/2.1, should I be able to see this in the surround mixer? Maybe I'm missing some software here....I tried a couple different 3.5mm-rca cables without luck...the creative manual shows a normal 3.5mm with those 2 rings...
 
I believe what you need installed is the THX console. I glanced at an Audigy 4 review very quickly, and they did show that the THX console was included with their installation.

If you browse the installation CD, there should be a directory containing a folder for the THX console installation files themselves. Failing that, the global install program should give you the option to selectively install some of the panel applications.
 
Yeah I was just browsing google for the THX..but I'll look on the cd. I downloaded the Oct 06 drivers and all it came with is the audio console, and nothing else (besides updated drivers compared to the install cd ones). Is it okay to just install THX alone?
 
Yes, all of the panel applications are totally independent of one-another.
 
It's nowhere to be found on the CD, atleast in "THX' form....I saw some pics of the THX prog on soundblaster's site and the software that is installed through the Cd does not look like that, and I explored the Cd to no avail. So it looks like I'm going to have to d/l it...
 
Alright, I have an Audigy 4 card. I'm completely new to digital sound and really have no idea how it works besides a 3.5mm stereo jack output on the card and my receivers' single RCA digital input. Well I have it hooked up, my receiver is set to COAX: CD....I just chose CD, the options are DVD, CD, TV, VCR, CDR etc... I then switch over the analog signal select on my receiver to digital....and nothing. This receiver is a pioneer vsx-d710s. It has DTS/Dolby "digital signal processor" and such, however I can't hear crap. Do I need to go into audigy console and change the decoding to bypass mode? I'm not sure what I have to do as far as software options go, I usually use analog via a 3.5mm stereo jack-to-rca into my receiver. Help!

Oh WOW, one older than mine. I have a VSX-D711. On your receiver select the "Stereo" and you should hear a "Click". You might also want to changed the "CD" setting to "DVD" this will make the option make a little more sense. These will look like Analog-->DVD 5.1--->DVD LVD Analog--->DVD LVD DD/DTS and you might just be able to leave the setting on "Auto" and Digital will kick in whenever possible.
 
I'll take a look at it, this has got me to my wits end. I reinstalled the apps from the cd via the auto install minus the cd drivers....I installed the latest....then it asked me for Audigy 4 or SB Audigy 4 digital audio....i selected dig audio...installed all the apps as usual....nothing to do with digital though....no THX....no options anywhere to enable/disable digital IO. Maybe the audigy 4 auto emits it? No idea here...
 
I have the rear COAX Dig in (DVD) it says, lined right into the white jack on the sound card...okay so....I moved my analog inputs to the DVD/LD input on the receiver. So I'm on the DVD/LD function listening in analog right now, when I switch the signal select to digital I hear nothing (big surprise). I did assign the COAX input to DVD as well.
 
I'll take a look at it, this has got me to my wits end. I reinstalled the apps from the cd via the auto install minus the cd drivers....I installed the latest....then it asked me for Audigy 4 or SB Audigy 4 digital audio....i selected dig audio...installed all the apps as usual....nothing to do with digital though....no THX....no options anywhere to enable/disable digital IO. Maybe the audigy 4 auto emits it? No idea here...

What apps do you have installed?

Bring up the Creative Media Source Player. On the Lower Left hand Corner of the Player, there an EAX semble, click it. It should have a THX Console from within it. Also if you have the whole software Pac installed, the Media Source Go is at the top of your screen, look for Device Settings?

I'll look at my computer with the Audigy 4 when I get home. I can then give you better info.
 
Hmm. Okay.

You may want to contact Creative support for this one, because I'm pretty much out of answers. Like I said, I'm not certain if the configuration of the jack makes any difference. It may require a mono jack, but it may also work fine with a stereo jack (you said the manual shows the a jack with a ring, which would be a stereo/balanced connector in this case).
 
Nope, nothing to do within EAX for THX. When I open EAX there are tabs for Effects, Karaoke, CMSS 3D, Clean-up, Time Scaling. This sucks. It's a frigin digital capable card...retail bought and can't find a damn thing in any of the software that pertains to digital settings. Only the creative audio console, in the S/PDIF I/O tab the input menu is grayed out, and the sampling rate is at 48. I did select for the SPDIF to be passed through because my receiver can decode, either way switching it back to hardware decoder does nothing.
 
Your using a 3.5 to stereo cable right? which side are you using? red or white? as I remember it the whits side is the digital out. You may need to enable it aswell but I am not sure where I just wanted you to check that cable you probably have already. Did you disconnect you analog speakers? SOmtimes you have the ability to select digital speakers under the pane to select your speaker config.
 
you were right, mono jack was needed. I just so happened to have a 3.5mm-to-dual rca handy which I was using 1 of those rcas, when infact it was the other rca that had the signal. Golden. now let me fool with this some more. tweaking things
 
you were right, mono jack was needed. I just so happened to have a 3.5mm-to-dual rca handy which I was using 1 of those rcas, when infact it was the other rca that had the signal. Golden. now let me fool with this some more. tweaking things

No, you really need a Digital Camer cable that's made up of a 3.5mm/1/8" Mono jack at one end and a RCA at the other end.
 
You can use the stereo to twin RCA but one side is the one that has the digital info. Glad you got it working.
I thought you were using this cable to begin with. This is why I told you to check the cable. BTW the jack on the card
has input and output but the other side of the cable doesn't give you input. This cable only give you ouput.
 
you were right, mono jack was needed. I just so happened to have a 3.5mm-to-dual rca handy which I was using 1 of those rcas, when infact it was the other rca that had the signal. Golden. now let me fool with this some more. tweaking things

Cool, glad you got it!
 
You can also get this if you want optical
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780
Actually, a mono jack is not needed but can be used. You can use th 3.5 to dual RCA but you have to use the
right RCA connector. The white on eis the digital out. Thed red is grounded and doesn't do anything.



yeah, I was using a digital camera cable and the yellow rca, it was suppose to be the black, I swear I thought I did this. I didn't mean to say, mono 3.5mm, but moreso a stereo one but singling out the contacts via swapping which rca to use.
 
I'm at a crossroad here, I'm not sure if I should use the Midnight, Loudness, Direct, or Nothing enhancing....I want the most full range of sound...
 
do you think it's better to adjust the equalizer and bass/treble through software EAX, rather than through the receiver?
 
do you think it's better to adjust the equalizer and bass/treble through software EAX, rather than through the receiver?

I'd try to keet use it (sound card) clean as possible and use my Receiver to make adjustments.
 
So when I told you to try the other cable this is what fixed it? It would be better to leave the signal clean until it gets to the receiver unless there is effects you like on the soundcard.
Reverb, parametric EQ, analog modelling, bass modelling. It can all enhance your experience. It's your audio config, set it up how you like. Peope can only give you pointers about set-up it's your ears so your the final judge.;)
 
I'm at a crossroad here, I'm not sure if I should use the Midnight, Loudness, Direct, or Nothing enhancing....I want the most full range of sound...

With 96KHz direct those enhancements don't work but honestly, you'll not need them:)
 
When I switch it to 96hz, I get nothing out of the receiver, nothing when I select direct, as well...
 
You would need to change the output smapling rate of the soundcard and the input sampling rate of the receiver. This should fix the probelm right up aslong as you receiver can 96khz..
 
Back
Top