Digital outs

Matrix

Limp Gawd
I tried using the digital out on my audigy but found its only stereo, do the x-fi support true digital 5.1 output? I know the platinum version has optical outs from the expansion box thing and I assume this would be a proper 5.1 signla?

Nope.
(you will only get two channels unless the material is already encoded in a multichannel audio format)

Nope, the Audigy and X-fi do not pass through an unencoded surround signal. The result will be the same, just stereo.

So I'm better off using the analogue outs and running them into the external in on my amp right?

Why can't they run a mutli channel signal through optical/coax? For example the x-fis platinum panel has optical/coax outs on it so why can't they be multi channel?

Matrix said:
So I'm better off using the analogue outs and running them into the external in on my amp right?

Why can't they run a mutli channel signal through optical/coax? For example the x-fis platinum panel has optical/coax outs on it so why can't they be multi channel?
Why can't they? Who knows, its been loung enough that they should have been able to engineer a technology for it (other card makers have). They simply don't have it encode the surround signal for transfer over SPDIF / toslink.

It can "pass through" a already encoded signal though, such as Doubly Digital or DTS. it's just the card itself doesn't have a surround encoder. Funny thing was, someone just recently bought an M-audio card and complained about the same exact thing. It's a shame these companies arn't swifter.

If you use all the analog outputs and connect them to your receiver correctly, you will get true surround sound.

~Hope this helps

I thought I had heard somewhere that they didn't want the computer to be an easy way to get full surroundsound audio from DVD's (harder to copy).

I could be full of shit!

insanarchist said:
I thought I had heard somewhere that they didn't want the computer to be an easy way to get full surroundsound audio from DVD's (harder to copy).

I could be full of shit!
I do believe you are, as the optical out will pass 5.1 audio that has already been encoded that way..... like a DVD

Vertigo Acid said:
I do believe you are, as the optical out will pass 5.1 audio that has already been encoded that way..... like a DVD

Hah, fair enough! Long day, I suppose...

The only thing that should output in stereo (or not at all) over digital on an Audigy is DVD-Audio (not to be confused with DD5.1/DTS). Everything else will either output in multi channel or you can use the card to up mix it to multi channel if its a stereo source. Even the live could upmix stereo source content.

Back