Digital output question (Auzen Prelude)

43st

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
201
Someone special got me an upgraded Zero DAC for Christmas (Weee!!) I have it plugged in and working with a coaxial cable and it's just amazing, what a profound difference. :)

I have found out though that games with Alchemy enabled to not pass audio to the digital output. The same goes for the various settings within the Prelude control panel (gaming, entertainment, etc..) In the past I've used 5.1 sound and mixed it to CMSS-3D Headphone, and that seems not be possible now. Does using the SPDIF out of the Auzen Prelude completely bypass control panel functions (CMSS, EQ, etc.)? I'm using Vista 64.
 
On XP, I'm feeding digital to my amp and have to use the amps EQ etc.
CMSS-3D set to stereo surround is passed to the amp.
 
Does using the SPDIF out of the Auzen Prelude completely bypass control panel functions (CMSS, EQ, etc.)? I'm using Vista 64.

Yes, the S/PDIF out is going to give you a straight, un-fettled with, clean 2 channel audio stream. Some would find that to be a plus. Hope you have a nice set of active monitors or pre/pro speaker combo your pushing. :D
 
I'm using a Prelude, digital out to my receiver, in Vista 64. I can use all the functions of the control panel: the 3 modes, Crystalizer, CMSS, EQ (tho I turn it off), EAX enhancements, etc. Everything works whether I set the Encoder for Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. And, yes I can clearly hear the difference when I change the settings in the control panel.
 
I'm using a Prelude, digital out to my receiver, in Vista 64. I can use all the functions of the control panel: the 3 modes, Crystalizer, CMSS, EQ (tho I turn it off), EAX enhancements, etc. Everything works whether I set the Encoder for Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. And, yes I can clearly hear the difference when I change the settings in the control panel.

Meh. I forgot he was using a soundcard. I am using the standard optical out on my mobo. Using all those sound gimmics kind of defeats the purpose of using the S/PDIF out into a nice DAC. Actually, most would argue the it completely defeats the purpose.
 
Yes, the S/PDIF out is going to give you a straight, un-fettled with, clean 2 channel audio stream. Some would find that to be a plus. Hope you have a nice set of active monitors or pre/pro speaker combo your pushing. :D

I currently have a Henry Kloss Model 2 as my desktop loudspeakers. They are pretty good but I know Kloss designs were not based on technically accurate sound, and more on by-ear tuning. Thanks for your comment and I'll keep an eye out for some powered monitors.

EDIT: I was interested in Alchemy and CMSS-3D Headphone for gaming only, not music. I can't pass Dolby or DTS to the Zero DAC, it only supports 2 channels.
 
FWIW, I just picked up a pair of Swan M200MKII's and a Fubar II DAC and couldn't be happier.
 
Meh. I forgot he was using a soundcard. I am using the standard optical out on my mobo. Using all those sound gimmics kind of defeats the purpose of using the S/PDIF out into a nice DAC. Actually, most would argue the it completely defeats the purpose.
The sound enhancements really only are good for games. I don't use them for music, movies, TV, etc. I stick with my receiver's sound processing when I'm not gaming.
 
Back
Top