Digital Multimeter

Maxtr0sity

Limp Gawd
I've been using Fluke hand helds in labs but they're a bit too expensive than I can afford for personal use. On the other hand, I don't want to buy no name brand and have it fail within a week. Can anyone recommend quality brands or even specific instruments? Also, any online retailers that sell them.

I own a Fluke 179. You can get one new for ~$150 if you shop around carefully - and this a higher-end meter that comes with a thermocouple, measures capacitance, etc. There's probably a lower-end model lacking some of these features which better suits your needs.

Also, you might be able to score a deal on a used Fluke on eBay.

All I can say is, don't cheap out too much. I also have a "Motomaster" meter from Canadian Tire that cost me $20 years ago. The leads fall out of the meter (it doesn't use proper banana jacks or anything) but worse, on the 20V setting it measures about half a volt low at 12V. So using this meter for charging a 12V battery will quite likely result in a dead battery.

It looks like I'll have to invest in a Fluke then. I haven't found any local shops that sell them, are there any reputable online stores that does?

Most Fluke gear is serious overkill for the average pc stuff. You'd be just fine with the 15 dollar special at Harbor Freight frankly. Or wait for sears to toss the craftsman meter on sale.

Unless you are doing component level diagnosis here save the money on the fluke and buy something that will actually make a difference.

Here is a quick search on parts express http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=3&filter=multimeter&sm=1&so=1

Second the craftsman meter. I picked up a T-RMS for pretty cheap from sears. Probe reads 0-1 in ice water. Auto range, large display. What more could you ask for?;)

The fluke is absolutely best. I use a fluke at work and payed ~$600 for it. That's hard to justify if it doesn't make you money though. In my opinion the closest I've seen, in terms of accuracy (compared to Fluke), is Craftsman. Find the model that's right for you.

If its for standard around the house / hobby work a 50 dollar one will work. Your wasting your time getting one with a replaceable fuse and what not. As long as it scales nicely for DC voltage your golden (some only do 12v which is lame).

I have a nice one, with a backlit lcd / cap tester/ scales good, etc, and I believe it was no more then 50. I will check the make of it when I get home.

No fuse?

That's rediculous. So your meter blows instead of a replaceable fuse. Usually this is only a problem (read: easiest done) when measuring current.

You can buy a $20 basic Craftsman meter from Sears.

It looks like I'll have to invest in a Fluke then. I haven't found any local shops that sell them, are there any reputable online stores that does?

I've seen people say good things about sears shit but I'm a fluke person. Warranty on a dmm is 10 years or 7 years after they stop making that model, whichever is longer. They stand behind these things. My fluke 87 had to be sent off once about 5 years after I got it. Got it back refurbed in no time. Every few years I'll get it calibrated.

No fuse?

That's rediculous. So your meter blows instead of a replaceable fuse. Usually this is only a problem (read: easiest done) when measuring current.

You can buy a $20 basic Craftsman meter from Sears.

Hell my dads flike 88 was stolen(thing was at least 15 years old and still kicking) so I gave him my 87 to use as I don't use it as much as I use too. Both fuses for the amp reading were blown. Things were like 20 some bucks to get both of them and that was a lot cheaper then we had seen them going for. That being said I'd rather grab some fuses then a new meter.

I've seen people say good things about sears shit but I'm a fluke person. Warranty on a dmm is 10 years or 7 years after they stop making that model, whichever is longer. They stand behind these things. My fluke 87 had to be sent off once about 5 years after I got it. Got it back refurbed in no time. Every few years I'll get it calibrated.

Hell my dads flike 88 was stolen(thing was at least 15 years old and still kicking) so I gave him my 87 to use as I don't use it as much as I use too. Both fuses for the amp reading were blown. Things were like 20 some bucks to get both of them and that was a lot cheaper then we had seen them going for. That being said I'd rather grab some fuses then a new meter.

Ya, but for personal use, better chances with the cheaper 20 dollar meters I think. You can get a 20 dollar one and never need to replace it, and if you blow it and get another - still only 40 bucks. A lot cheaper then a 150.

Bottom line, imo, You can buy a $20 FUSED meter from Sears. It gives all the basic functions, but no auto ranging or fancy accessories. If you don't make a living with this thing, this would be fine.

Like I said before, I own a Fluke, but I'm a tech, so it makes me money... that's the only reason I'd reccomend a Fluke (if you use it everyday, to make money).

Fuses can be found at RadioShack.

I'm a tool geek. i have a Bluepoint MT586A sitting right here beside me along with a cheapie Actron CP7676 and a cheapie Brymen BM328. I use the two cheapies if theres a risk of it being damaged and use the Bluepoint for critical stuff. My next meter will have the serial output.

I have a Fluke 77/BN and I am very pleased with it.
They have a brand new one on ebay,for $125

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If it's just for home use. A cheap fused multimeter is great, just like what most of the others have said. It's one thing if you need a 6.5 digit meter for precise measurements, and another for around the home jobs. Save the money and buy a cheap one. End of story.

I've been using my Mastech my-64 every day for the last two years, and it still kicking. I would highly recommend it. Best, its only about $40. I've compared it to the flukes I have in the lab, and it appears to be as accurate. It has both fused and unfused as well, which come in handy. The unfused will take up to 20A for a short period, which I have done.

Fluke is overkill, unless you absolutely need several digits of accuracy. But don't go get a cheap radioshack one. They feel cheap because they are.

Back