Digital Homicide Withdraws Lawsuit Against Steam Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
No, Digital Homicide did not withdraws its lawsuit against Steam users because it felt guilty or thought it was the right thing to do. The embattled game developer is withdrawing its $18 million lawsuit against Steam users because it is too broke to move forward. Ouch.

Digital Homicide, the maker of games including The Slaughtering Grounds, ET: The Extra-Large Testicle, and Not In My Crapper, recently made the astounding decision to sue 100 anonymous Steam users for $18 million over nasty comments they'd made about the studio's work. In response, Valve removed all of the studio's games from Steam, prompting Digital Homicide to threaten legal action against it as well. But last week it requested that the lawsuit be dismissed, because it can no longer afford to pursue it.

Isn't this called poetic justice?

I approve of it.

<Insert blatant E.D. joke here>

Honestly I'm having a LOT of trouble finding the desire to feel bad for their management. Now any programmers they have on staff just trying to earn an honest buck I do feel bad for...

Suing your customers because they don't like your products rarely turns out well. Hope all of the employees are current on receiving paychecks and have up to date resumes.

Wonder if Steam is now going to put their junk games back up. Hopefully they don't or this whole thing will probably pop up again with more negative reviews. Digital Homicide was also suing Jim Sterling and will probably get crushed if that one goes ahead.

Suing your customers because they don't like your products rarely turns out well. Hope all of the employees are current on receiving paychecks and have up to date resumes.

How do you know they were customers? You obviously don't know one way or the other and are talking out of your ass.

How do you know they were customers? You obviously don't know one way or the other and are talking out of your ass.
You must be fun at parties.

I don't think they really had much in the way of employees to begin with, their MO was to basically by place holder asset packs from the unity store and churn out barely functional junk with them.

You must be fun at parties.

I don't think they really had much in the way of employees to begin with, their MO was to basically by place holder asset packs from the unity store and churn out barely functional junk with them.

Answer the question?

Answer the question?

... the question you asked someone else which you immediately followed up with a baseless insult? Sure why not if it puts you back in your box.

Introducing Steam Reviews

"See the most helpful reviews written by users that have played the game or used the software you are considering purchasing."

On Steam users can only post reviews (negative or positive) in the event that the have played the game in question. So yes, anyone posting negative reviews on DH's asinine content had in fact purchased and played it.

They should have called themselves Digital Suicide instead of Digital Homicide :)

Did they really think Steam wouldn't pull their games after suing customers???

Steam would have done it even if they were on Digital Homicide's side in the matter in order to avoid the legal liability of selling games that trigger lawsuits.

Wonder if Steam is now going to put their junk games back up. Hopefully they don't or this whole thing will probably pop up again with more negative reviews. Digital Homicide was also suing Jim Sterling and will probably get crushed if that one goes ahead.

They don't exist anymore, they didn't just drop lawsuits, they went out of business. So no, I don't see Valve putting their games back up. There would be no reason too.

They should have called themselves Digital Suicide instead of Digital Homicide :)

Did they really think Steam wouldn't pull their games after suing customers???

Steam would have done it even if they were on Digital Homicide's side in the matter in order to avoid the legal liability of selling games that trigger lawsuits.

think that is the joke that everyone is going to have now. :)

The main kicker for them with Steam was when they tried to force Valve to give up the names of the users and then sued them also. Which in all honesty I don't recall now if the Valve suit was before or after the games got pulled.

Oh god this company was interviewed on youtube by some reviewer who trashed them. It's like 2 brothers who are in their 30's. Just listening to one of them talk was infuriating. He has such a distorted child-like sense of entitlement. The way he see's it anybody should be allowed to produce anything and if you speak negatively of it you are slandering him. He tries to defend selling people low quality games by pointing out the youtuber started off making low quality videos, but fails to recognize that youtube videos are free to watch, his games are not. Just because they both derive some form of income in no way makes deliberately mass producing trash software ok.

But like I said, just listening to his voice is cringe inducing, you really get the picture of a spoiled brat with the intellect of a little 14 year old shit that has grown into a 35 year old's body.

It was Jim Sterling that interviewed him after they threatened to doxx him for the reviews of their trash games. And they are currently suing him for slander, and asking millions, but they are trying to sue by themselves as a person for remarks about the company among many, many other stupid stuff they have been doing. The judge has been lenient but it will eventually get thrown out of court due to not having the proper jurisdiction among the many other things.

It was Jim Sterling that interviewed him after they threatened to doxx him for the reviews of their trash games. And they are currently suing him for slander, and asking millions, but they are trying to sue by themselves as a person for remarks about the company among many, many other stupid stuff they have been doing. The judge has been lenient but it will eventually get thrown out of court due to not having the proper jurisdiction among the many other things.
Didn't they have a failed crowdfunding campaign for that lawsuit because they couldn't actually afford a lawyer?

These guys are like toddlers throwing tantrums.

Didn't they have a failed crowdfunding campaign for that lawsuit because they couldn't actually afford a lawyer?

They did and the best part that people were contributing to the fund in such a minute fashion that the end of the day, the transaction fees were higher than the pledged amount. These guys are tools and pretty much exemplifies what is wrong with the Steam Greenlight system. I didn't realize the cards that are part of the game, and subsequently sold, were giving a cut of the marketplace sales to the "developer*". This alone seems to incentivize their business model of dumping the similar game, similar titles, asset flips, whatever onto the market in as quick a fashion as possible. When people, and especially a certain YouTuber called them out on the crappy games thats when it got weird. They had one promising game, and it was actually a decent looking game that they produced, in early access, that looked solid, and actually playable. What did they do with that, absolutely nothing..... more Wyatt Derp and derivatives.

These guys are like toddlers throwing tantrums.
Yeah, that was two of their games as well....

*developer term used loosely.

... the question you asked someone else which you immediately followed up with a baseless insult? Sure why not if it puts you back in your box.

Introducing Steam Reviews

"See the most helpful reviews written by users that have played the game or used the software you are considering purchasing."

On Steam users can only post reviews (negative or positive) in the event that the have played the game in question. So yes, anyone posting negative reviews on DH's asinine content had in fact purchased and played it.
I honestly didn't realize it worked this way. I just went through my steam games list and see where the review button is. I cannot review games I don't own, which just makes sense. Now, to humor ZodaEX, I suppose it's possible that folks were purchasing these games just to review them negatively, but I find that hard to believe. I mean, there may have been a few people who did that, but not enough to make an impact. This was a legit terrible studio, though considering they had multiple studio names, I'm assuming that only Digital Homicide died? I assume they'll pop up again under other names, making more shit games they've literally thrown together in a month or two.

I'm assuming that only Digital Homicide died? I assume they'll pop up again under other names, making more shit games they've literally thrown together in a month or two.

I don't see that happening. They'll be sniffed out in a day or two with the sleuths out there and there'll be a reddit thread just like the last time all the pseudonyms were connected. DH isn't the sharpest spoon in the shed in regards to concealing their tracks. Their biggest problem is just knowing when to shut up, they've been incapable of doing that for the past 2 years.

I don't see that happening. They'll be sniffed out in a day or two with the sleuths out there and there'll be a reddit thread just like the last time all the pseudonyms were connected. DH isn't the sharpest spoon in the shed in regards to concealing their tracks. Their biggest problem is just knowing when to shut up, they've been incapable of doing that for the past 2 years.
After this mess, the next time a company pops up trying to sell garbageware made of nothing but pre-packaged unity engine assets, people will check to see if these same dolts are involved.

Back