• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Digital camera under $300, please help me choose

Anarchonixx

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
1,524
My parents are going to Spain for about 9 days, and want to invest in a digital camera for the trip. The camera will be mainly used for portraits and scenic shots. Manual controls are a plus, not a must. I was wondering what you guys thought the best cameras around that price rance are.

From what I've read around here, I was considering the Canon A70, but wasn't sure if I could get better image quality in another camera that maybe doesn't have the manual controls.

So far, I'm looking at the Canon A70 and the Canon PowerShot SD100. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the help beforehand.
 
I just bought a FujiFilm FinePix S5000, and I love it. It's only a 3.1 MP, but it's got the 10x optical zoom that I wanted, and plenty of manual controls. The only major issue that I have with it is with regards to night photography, and that is that it has a max exposure of 2 seconds. Otherwise, it works out beautifully.

The catch is, when I bought mine, I paid slightly more than $350 for it. You might be able to get it cheaper though. Also, it is somewhat bulky, but it's acceptable for me.
 
I just bought this same camera and love it. I bought it from buydig or is it digbuy .com you can find it if you go to pricegrabber.com and enter in finepix s5000 I got mine for 299.00 plus I upgraded on the sellers website and for an additional 68.00 I got a camera bag, 128MB's of memory and a lens cleaner.

Still learning to use this camera but so far I love it. the 10X optical zoon is wonderful and you can buy a 2.5X adapter lens that'll bump that up to 25X optical!!
 
Originally posted by Anarchonixx

I was considering the Canon A70,
but wasn't sure if I could get better image quality in another camera.

no , at least not from current 3mp models.
 
Back
Top