Digital Camera Just Not Cuttin' It

antoniohawk

Limp Gawd
I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P20 1.3MP camera at the moment. The picture quality is kind of bad and I'm interested in getting a new camera. I have no idea at all what kind of camera to get, and was hoping for some guidance. I have no preference in brand or size, but just want a camera that will take some really good photos. I'm not totally sure of how much I want to spend, but let's keep the max at $500 for the moment. Thanks a lot for any help that can be provided.

Canon A80. Everything you can play around yourself. S50 is nice... but I don't believe it's worth the price over the A80. Plus, the S50 is just an S45 with a "bigger" sensor stuck into it. More mp, but slightly less quality.

G5 is nice too... but I'd still go for the A80.

I've picked up a Fujifilm S5000, i love it. 10x optical zoom, 3.1megapixel resolution, but can do impressive 6megapixel shots with their Super CCD. It's oriented diagonally instead of horizontally like all other brands. It's a good webcam, uses XD, TONS of options for shooting types, picture modes, bracketing, etc. Shoots video @ SVideo quality as well.

I got it cause i wanted something with a good lens, and good pictures. They have a higher Megapixel one as well, mine was $300 on sale.

another vote for the A80, have one and wouldn't trade it for much, cept for maybe a D70 or the likes...

actually i read that the 3MP mode is better for res than the 6mp interpolated mode.

I played with an A80 in the store once, it was nice. I'd get one for a backup to my 10D if I didn't already have a G3. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses AA batteries. That's no big deal, rechargeable NiMH AA's are pretty cheap now.

If you don't want or need any of the manual features of the A80, or you want something to stick in your pocket, check out the S400/S410.

agentzero9 said:
It was shot at the cameras lowest ISO.

Not that I care about the reputation of the Mr. Fuji camera, but it was shot at ISO 200. All you have to do is save the pic and check the properties. I really doubt that ISO 200 is it's lowest setting.

On a side note, I actually did read this review back in the September/October time period when I was looking to get a camera. I do remember that the interpolated pics did look pretty bad. It seems that it is nothing but marketing hype and may as well have been enlarged 200% in post processing. The regular pics aren't all bad... I ended up getting a Panasonic FZ-10 and loved it up until the day the zoom broke and it just started grinding. It really does need a Sunpak 383 to make it take decent pics in low light though......and maybe getting it fixed under warranty would help the "focus issue" it has developed.

Tim

I guess this is sort of an ad for my cam but you should consider the olympus 5060 wide zoom, its got tons of manual features and auto ones if you dont want to mess with it. Its 5mp and has a 4x zoom but with a much wider angle at the full open end than most consumer cameras. The battery life is also amazing I personally have never had a battery die on me. I have some sample pics if you would like to see. Having said that I am selling it because I want to go with a DSLR unfortunatly that is going to cost me 1300 bucks so i need the money.

MasterOfNone said:
Not that I care about the reputation of the Mr. Fuji camera, but it was shot at ISO 200. All you have to do is save the pic and check the properties.

I really doubt that ISO 200 is it's lowest setting.

It is.

for $500 i'd go with (for casual use) the sony DSC-T1 (strictly for ultimate portability sake. I spent all day yesterday with one, the image quality was alright, but your sacrificing a good flash and tripod mount for small size... and a conventional lens), Sony DSC-V1 (a bit bigger then the T1), Nikon 5200....

these are actually the three i'm now looking at to replace my canon s400... which replaced my nikon 775 (2mp).... so anything 4mp or higher will be a significant improvement to you.

4mp can take some truely amazing photos.

-esr

Just to restate, the size of the camera makes absolutely no difference to me. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still looking around and probably won't decide for a while, since it's a lot of money to spend. If any of you have sample photos from the cameras that you're suggesting, please show 'em.

@esr2
Nice photos, I'll keep them in mind.

those were from the canon s400... but i'm not suggesting it :)

esr2 said:
for $500 i'd go with (for casual use) the sony DSC-T1 (strictly for ultimate portability sake. I spent all day yesterday with one, the image quality was alright, but your sacrificing a good flash and tripod mount for small size... and a conventional lens), Sony DSC-V1 (a bit bigger then the T1), Nikon 5200....

these are actually the three i'm now looking at to replace my canon s400... which replaced my nikon 775 (2mp).... so anything 4mp or higher will be a significant improvement to you.

4mp can take some truely amazing photos.

-esr

Those don't look like anything your 2mp Nikon 775 couldn't have taken

indeed, but they print bigger :-P. and the color is dramatically improved.

-esr

Back