Digital Camera CCD Advisory Notice(s) Inside!

Tim_axe

Gawd
I was browsing the dpreview main page and noticed a lot of news articles that said the same thing: "Company xyz issues CCD advisory notice."

There were some foul ups in the production of CCD imaging chips between Oct. 2002 - Mar. 2004 and a few models may expirence problems. So far no DSLR's are impacted...mainly Digital Compact (P&S) cameras at this point.

Among the CCDs used in the affected products listed above, it has been confirmed that, especially under high-temperature/high-humidity environments, the internal wiring may come undone in some places.
-----
During a certain period in the production process, there was a lack of uniformity in the quality of the CCD. It was determined that this problem may happen due to a combination of CCD quality and usage/storage conditions or age deterioration. However, the problem affects a limited number of units and may not occur in all cameras.

Most of the affected companies are willing to repair the camera free of charge even if warrenty has expired.

So far, it seems that these companies have camera models with potential CCD issues:
  • Fuji USA
  • Canon
  • Sony

Some of the affected cameras:
  • Sony:
    DSC-F717
    DSC-P10
    DSC-P12
    DSC-P2
    DSC-P31
    DSC-P32
    DSC-P51
    DSC-P52
    DSC-P7
    DSC-P71
    DSC-P72
    DSC-P8
    DSC-P92
    DSC-U10
    DSC-U20
    DSC-U30
    DSC-U60
    DSC-V1
    MVC-CD400
    MVC-CD500
    MVC-FD200
    -
  • Canon (Digital Still Cameras):
    PowerShot A60
    PowerShot A70
    PowerShot A75
    PowerShot A300
    PowerShot A310
    Digital IXUS V3
    Digital IXUS II
    Digital IXUS IIs
    -
  • Canon (Video Cameras):
    MV600i
    MV630i
    MV650i
    MV700i
    MV730i
    MV750i
    MV5i
    MV5i MC
    MV6i MC
    ZR60
    ZR65 MC
    ZR70 MC
    ZR80
    ZR85
    ZR90
    Elura 40 MC
    Elura 50
    -
  • Fuji Cameras (Serial Number Ranges):
    FinePix S2 Pro 31A127**~31A143**
    FinePix S2 Pro 32A000**~32A039**
    FinePix S2 Pro 33A000**~33A007**
    FinePix S2 Pro 34A000**~34A004**

Links to advisory @ dpreview:

My early guess is that all of these cameras used Sony CCDs, and thus are affected by a recent advisory Sony issued about some of their CCDs.

KonicaMinolta's cameras may also be affected...

Links: http://dcviews.com/press/Konica-Minolta-Oct05.htm

• KonicaMinolta
    DiMAGE 7i
    DiMAGE 7Hi
    DiMAGE A1
    DiMAGE Xi
    DiMAGE Xt
    DiMAGE X20
    DiMAGE S414
    DiMAGE F300

There is some speculation that a few of Nikon's cameras could be next because some use the same sensor as the Sony cameras affected...such as the CoolPix 5700...currently no known advisory issued for Nikon on issues related to this though...

Edit:
Add Nikon Also...

Thanks to PS-RagE. Nikon has issued advisories for 3 of their digital cameras.

• Nikon
    CoolPix 3100
    CoolPix 5700
    CoolPix SQ

Service instructions (if your camera's pictures come out messed up / color shifted / no picture) can be found here: http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/coolpix.html

I've had random issues with my Elura 40MC where I'd get no picture for a while... i suppose this is it.

Shipping the camera out tomorrow, since it has started to eat my miniDV tapes and spit them out suddenly, which apparently is a common problem with the model after a year or two of use.

Gotta love it... :rolleyes:

was worried there! had a rebel, sold it now getting a Canon 20D, phwe, thanks for the ehads up as i know a few people with the Sony D* line

The Canon EOS-Digital series uses CMOS sensors, not CCD. Nikon uses CCD though, so maybe they'll have an issue.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm monitoring this to see if the D70 or similar gets added to the advisory.

I saw the advisory when Fuji released some snippet about it. Finally got around to checking the serial number of the S2 I use; fortunately it's out of the relevant range!

Back