digital camera capable of video and webcam

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
my canon powershot A10 recently was stolen
so im looking to replace it come boxing day if possible

I have been very happy with the A10 and would buy an A70/75/80 etc if they are anywhere as good

just wondering if any of those models are in fact as good
and if they can act as a webcam?

thanks

There are definitely webcams out there that will also function as an ordinary, portable digital camera. You'll find information on Google. To get you started, there are things like this Logitech ClickSmart 510. I would seriously doubt that the picture quality will be anything like what you get with an A70+, but then the video quality (fps and duration, certainly) will probably be better.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got a canon SD200, and its very good quality 640x480 @30fps movies. It looks great on the computer screen, and looks fantastic on TV.

I hear the Canon S1 IS is near DVD quality movies.

Im not sure about webcams though, sorry cant help you out there.

I don't know of any digital cameras that will function as a webcam, but there are some webcams that will take still pics. IMO get a good digicam, and buy a dedicated webcam. I've seen webcams for as low as $20.

jimnms said:
I don't know of any digital cameras that will function as a webcam, but there are some webcams that will take still pics. IMO get a good digicam, and buy a dedicated webcam. I've seen webcams for as low as $20.
Agreed. I should have thought of that :). You can get a nice digital camera for $100 and a nice webcam for $50, or you get a combined thing for $150 that doesn't perform either function particularly well.

I was gonna mention the Fujis also. Ok, guess I DID mention the Fujis. Just now. ;)

I think they've been doing it for at least two years now, starting with the 2600 (?). I think that was the model, anyway.

Jmzais said:
Fuji's do them all. My S5000 does very well.
So my question then is whether or not it really functions as a webcam. Lots of digital cameras can take clips. Some can even take clips that are long enough that you might call them "movies" if you had a fairly short attention span ;). None that I know of have the extras like a monitor mount or whatever, and certainly putting a S5000 on top of your monitor would be a little weird. Also, it seems unlikely that a camera like the S5000 is designed to be left on 24/7, though I imagine you could run it off the AC adapter as long as you wanted without any troubles.

In summary, my point is that if depending on which (movies or stills) is more important to you, your best option (webcam or digital camera) will change. If the S5000 or something similar really does function well as a webcam, call me ignorant and give me some specs! :)

Most of the Canons come with software to allow them to function as a webcam I believe. Remote Capture is the name for it. I've only used it a bit but it may do what you need.

Bitchnmoan said:
I was gonna mention the Fujis also. Ok, guess I DID mention the Fujis. Just now. ;)

I think they've been doing it for at least two years now, starting with the 2600 (?). I think that was the model, anyway.

Yeah, I know my Fuji 3800 functions as a webcam (and can take vids too). You just have to hook it up & load the software. I imagine that almost all digital cameras these days, can take videos and double as a webcam so long as you use the software provided...

HorsePunchKid: You are right though, the S5000 (which is similar to my newly replaced Fuji 3800) was not designed to be left on 24/7 (out of the box anyway) but, you can buy an AC adapter and use it as a webcam ( I don't know if the S5000 comes with the AC Adapter).

The idea here is that these cameras give you the option for versatility. Yeah, they weren't made to be used as a primary webcam or video camcorder but the companies are giving you that option if you so decide to use them as such. That's really all that is. Call it added features.

To give you an idea, using my Fuji as a webcam yielded similar results as my old logitech webcam.

emorphien said:
Most of the Canons come with software to allow them to function as a webcam I believe. Remote Capture is the name for it. I've only used it a bit but it may do what you need.

Yeah, I believe my new PRO 1 can do it. I haven't tried it yet though, but I think I have read it somewhere in the manual or at a website.

MetalDwarf said:
my canon powershot A10 recently was stolen
so im looking to replace it come boxing day if possible

I have been very happy with the A10 and would buy an A70/75/80 etc if they are anywhere as good

just wondering if any of those models are in fact as good
and if they can act as a webcam?

thanks

If you want a digital camera capable of producing "high quality" videos, I would suggest the Canon Powershot S1 IS. This camera, in my opinion, produces better video quality/ clarity than my Pro 1. It is almost near Digi Camcorder quality. I was considering this but the Pro 1 came along at a nice price and I just had to have it.

Here's Steves-Digicam review on it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is_samples.html

Download the very last thumbnail with the white & blue F1 type car (the Avi. one).

It's a 3.2 megapixel but it sure takes superb videos. If it can take videos like that, It may also function as a top notch webcam. Anyway, check it out :) .

Back