• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Digital Audio

Liquidkristal

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
5,076
I have an Audigy 2 in my PC, and a Sherwood AV ap that has digital Co-Ax and optical inputs.

I would like to use the coaxial digital input so I can use the 5.1 features my amp has.

the audigy 2 digital output is a 3.5mm headphone type socket, does anywhere sell cables that will let me hook up my audigy to my amp (I have the live drive box but I want to keep the cables round the back of my PC)

if I end up making my own cable, is the 75ohms thing that important, as after all the signal is digital so it is either going to work or not work, so cable quality shouldn't make a difference

any ideas?
 
Originally posted by Liquidkristal
I have an Audigy 2 in my PC, and a Sherwood AV ap that has digital Co-Ax and optical inputs.

I would like to use the coaxial digital input so I can use the 5.1 features my amp has.
You do know that 5.1 gaming is not going to happen this way right?

Originally posted by Liquidkristal

the audigy 2 digital output is a 3.5mm headphone type socket, does anywhere sell cables that will let me hook up my audigy to my amp (I have the live drive box but I want to keep the cables round the back of my PC)

Jason at http://www.redcobracable.com will be more then glad to make you such a cable.
He also has a nice stock of DIY supplies.

Originally posted by Liquidkristal
if I end up making my own cable, is the 75ohms thing that important, as after all the signal is digital so it is either going to work or not work, so cable quality shouldn't make a difference

any ideas?

Yes, 75 ohms is critical.
And your theory about digital cables working or not is a load of crap.
Over the last week I have been experimenting with a bunch of different cable types for SPDIF cables and you can hear the difference high quality cables make as plain as day on good equipment.
If you do go the DIY route ... don't forget the 1pf caps.
They make almost as much difference as the cable types do.
 
Originally posted by X86Dude
You do know that 5.1 gaming is not going to happen this way right?
Yeah, I'm more intersted in DVD playback, and overall sounds quality, hence the digital route

Jason at http://www.redcobracable.com will be more then glad to make you such a cable.
He also has a nice stock of DIY supplies.
Cool, thanks for the link, if he is willing to ship international then I'll ask him to make the cables up

Yes, 75 ohms is critical.
And your theory about digital cables working or not is a load of crap.
Over the last week I have been experimenting with a bunch of different cable types for SPDIF cables and you can hear the difference high quality cables make as plain as day on good equipment.
If you do go the DIY route ... don't forget the 1pf caps.
They make almost as much difference as the cable types do.

got ya. odd that it makes a difference as its all basically 0's and 1's, still I guess interference and overall quality of cable can make a difference. I think I'll skip the DIY route :)
 
I don't know if you can get Radio Shack parts in your neck of the woods or not... they have a mono minijack to RCA inline adapter that works great for this application.
Catlog #274-897 is the product you're after.
I googled it earlier and there some places in the UK that carry Radio Shack parts but I didn't ever get a chance to try to find one. Maybe you will have better luck.
Once you locate said item (or a replacement) all you need is a caox cable and you're set. ;)
 
Back
Top