• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DigiRebelXT or 10D?...camera noob please help!?!?!

lukek

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
255
Hello, I'm buying a camera for my gf as a b-day/anniv. gift and dont know which one to get, ive been looking at the Digital Rebel XT and also the 10D, im an engineering grad not a shutterbug, so im lost when it comes to SLR's. Just trying to find out which is the better camera.
 
10D is a 6MP model, the precursor to the 20D. It's similar to the Digital Rebel, but has black metal body as opposed to the grey/black plastic of the Rebels.

The optical sensor in the RebelXT is 8MP, the camera is smaller physically than the other Canon SLR's, so if you want to use a lot of long lenses that might be an issue weight/balance wise.

Its hard to compare the 10D vs. the XT, as they are a few years apart. The XT has a better sensor, DigicII, based on the 20D's sensor, so its more 'modern' in that sense.

I think Image quality wise, you might see some improvements with the XT over the 10D, along with the higher resolution of the XT that helps with printing larger prints.

Also the 10D does not support EF-S lenses.

If you are a total newb like you mentioned, I think you'd be better off with the XT.
 
Is an SLR what you're looking for? (interchangeable lenses and accessories, larger/heavier camera, and exellent quality if you can afford decent glass)

Assuming it is, your girl-friend will probably like the Digital Rebel XT more than the 10D for its smaller size and lighter weight compared to the 10D. The XT also comes with a "kit" lens, whereas the 10D does not. Turning on the XT is easier than the 10D (easily accessable switch), and the XT is ready to take pictures almost immediately after being turned while the 10D needs a little bit more time before it is ready. The build quality of the 10D is better, but it also weighs quite a bit more (30.9oz vs 19oz).
 
Like Tim_axe, I'd question if you should really be getting an SLR. Of course, I don't know anything about your girlfriend, she could be used to SLRs and know how to operate one, or wants to learn photography and would do fine with an SLR. Of course, on the other hand, she might just leave the camera on auto and shoot away, which you could do with any digicam.

(humble advice from a amateur)

On a more technical side, the XT is newer compared to the EOS-10D, and is smaller. EOS-10D has a magnesium body, XT is a mix of plastic and metal, as has been stated. XT's a good choice, for the better features like lower noise at higher ISO (thanks to Digic II) and faster memory write speeds.
 
I recently purchased a used 10D instead of the digital Rebel XT. Reason for choosing the 10D over the Rebel was for feel and size. I didn't like the small feel of the Rebel and with any type of longer lens the camera felt unbalanced. Also I was used to my Canon EOS 3 film camera I liked the feel of the 10D.

As for image quality I have seen great images from both cameras so I choose based on ergo's.

Rob
 
Back
Top