Digi Camera Buying Decision Help

Will013

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to decide between two cameras and I am not totally sure which one to go with, I have heard great things from both.
The two I am choosing between are:
  • Kodak EasyShare 6490 4.0MP
  • Canon PowerShot 3.2MP S1 IS

A majority of the camera will be used for event pictures..i.e. social gatherings, concerts, sports, etc..secondary use of it will be for scenic pictures..

Both are the same price which really puts me in a bind..Any/all suggestion/tips would be deeply appreciated!

Canon S1...

A majority of the camera will be used for event pictures..i.e. social gatherings, concerts, sports, etc..secondary use of it will be for scenic pictures..

Because you said this the S1 has IS (Image Stabilization) which will help with the long zoons for Sports, and concerts. Also the Canon is a better camera IMHO.

Cheers,

ok thanks i really do appreciate it...anymore honest opinions..might be going to bestbuy right now and purchasing it :)

Thanks..

I think I am going to go for the Canon S1 IS..
I can get it for around $390 since bestbuy has it for $399, and CC will beat the price..I love competition :D

Now that I read a little more about the S1 IS, I am leaning away from it a little more right now...

CompUSA has the Kodak 4MP 6490 for $399 with free 128MB SD Card, leather case, and tripod, which makes this a little bit more attractive...

A little confused right now as of which way to go :confused:

Kodak will not be any better.

I would look at Olympus/Panasonic 10x models. Though I hate Olympus for forcing people to use xD cards.

I dunno..im so confused :p :confused:

I think I might just go with the Canon S1 IS..its an overall good camera it seems..
And I can get it for $360!
I was HIGHLY considering going to the Digital Rebel..but I really shouldnt spend the $1000...

Just bought a Canon S1 IS..Circuit city pricematched best buys $100 off retail..so I got this camera for about $380 Something! Hopefully it'll be worth every penny! :D

One last question...
I am looking for 1 GB Compact Flash card...
I see there is a regular card and a "high speed" series..
The regular seem to run around $150 and the "high speed" run for $200+..

Is the high speed necessary for this camera? Is the high speed really worth the extra $50 or is it just falsified crap?

Edit: I also saw this: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-160-136&depa=0 Why is that so cheap? It is 2+ GB at the price of a 512

Thanks again!
Will

first, make sure you know how many photos you'll be able to store with 1gb --- it's an awful lot for a 3mp camera

second, 1gb cards are not a good value if you are looking at $/mb

go with 2x512mb for a better deal, and plus you are not putting all your eggs in one basket

256mb cards offer the best value

The main reason I was going 1GB is for video purposes...
I might consider 512..but I just wanted to know what is up with the 1/2GB Microdrives for $150~...
I dont know whether I should go with the 'faster' cards or the stock ones as some of the read/write times are the same :confused:

the Canon is pretty good as well as the Kodak, but if I had to go with one or the other I would take the Canon because of the reputation factor, especially in the powershot series.

i have that camera. have used it. have used it w/ slow an fast cards. you NEED a fast card to take good video. pay the x-tra cash for that shiz, its worth every penny. i have a 512 card and take movies in superfine mode at 640x480 30fps and they come out AWESOME, but i try to do the same with a slow card and it SUCKS. it doesn't really work. its bad news. fast card == good.

Eigtball said:
Canon S1...

Because you said this the S1 has IS (Image Stabilization) which will help with the long zoons for Sports, and concerts. Also the Canon is a better camera IMHO.

Cheers,

Although i think between the two, the canon is a better camera. Your justification of the IS is incorrect.

Sports require high shutter speeds of moving objects. IS stabalizes the elements in the lens, not the subject it's focusing.

Back