digging out my old cooling loop.

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
Back in day I have two custom watercooling setups.

one was a Swiftech, with a 240mm rad, a MCP655 pump, and some block that well it's going in the garbage.

I also had an alphacool setup with a Alphacool AP910 Centrifugal pump , a really thick and from what I remember decent 120mm rad, a block I won't reuse and a small resevoir.

For giggles I got the alphacool setup cobbled together with the old swiftech rad. I had to transfer over the fittings and reuse some old ass stiff 8mm id/10 OD PVC tubing the kit came with.

I'm inclined to buy a cheap block and try this out and compare it to my Artic freezer 240 AIO setup that could be on it's way out. Temps are creeping up I think from what they used to be. Running a delidded 8700k @4.8ghz 1.35v(yeah I got a crap cpu) temps will get into the high 70's and mid 80's spikes during AVX prime 95 runs of longer than 20-30mins.

I would like to get a few more modern fittings for the cpu block though. What fittings would best allow me to integrate another tubing size into the loop w/out screwing up the pressure/flow too much? I really don't want to buy all new fittings if possible. Trying to make due with what I have. I may try to run both the 240mm rad and the 120mm rad in the loop as well.

Any thoughts? BTW again the tubing I'll have to run to reuse my old alpha cool fittings is 8mm ID/10mm OD pvc. The pump is fairly low pressure but seemed to work well enough back in the day. I see it moving the coolant at a decent rate on my test bench.

Or am I daft and should I use the swiftech pump and go all big tubing. From what I recall back in the day, it didn't really make too much of a difference in temps, but bigger tubing was sure a PIA to work with and work around from what I recall. Hence, my thought to stay with smaller tubing.

Back