• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Difficulty Imaging to a 3TB boot drive

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
10,561
I have a Dell Zino HD that can only hold one harddrive.

At present it has a 64GB SSD, which I would like to upgrade to a 3TB harddrive.

I have numerous applications and tweaks installed, which I would not care to have to reinstall. I installed Acronis and attempted to use the "clone disk wizard" selecting the 64GB SSD as the source, and the 3TB drive connected by USB as the destination.

However, I get an error that the destination partition is not large enough.

Thoughts?
 
My guess is that you are attempting to image a MBR (Master Boot Record) partition to a GPT (GUID partition.

MBR partitions can only be max 2TB - above 2TB the drive has to be converted to GPT. That is if you are using windows.

Also a lot of motherboard controllers won't boot 3TB drives.
 
I assume the drive is already formatted in GPT, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see a single 3TB usable partition hooked up as a USB drive.

Was checking on the Acronis website, and for 2012 it says in one place that 3TB GPT drives ARE supported for imaging, but then in another place it says it is not... oh well, seems like its a software issue. I'm just being lazy as its a PITA to reinstall all my apps, heh.
 
Them being supported is not the problem. You CAN image from a GPT drive to another GPT drive. But here, what you're trying is MBR to GPT.

Furthermore, what BigXor said is important : your machine must support booting from 3TB drives, which is far from universal.
 
Back
Top