• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Difficulty focusing on text on VA panel"

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
Joined
May 8, 2020
Messages
93
Do you find it difficult or easy to focus on text on VA panels? Did you just get used to it? Did you get headaches and did they eventually pass?


On the TN panel (BenQ XL2720Z) I find text is easy to read. It's crisp. It's perfect. I can focus on it without issue. I don't even notice it because it's just easy. The background colour is flat.


On the VA panel (LG 32GK850G-B) it's just... not. It's like the edges of the letters are soft. I understand that the pixel structure is different but it's so difficult to put my finger on it. I honestly feel like my eyes strain more to read, and after a few months I'm feeling like my eyes are worse in general. Which has got to be bollocks.


It could just be because things are slightly differently sized, but then I increase the text size and there's still this thing that's hard to quantify. Like it's just slightly out of focus. And anything a few inches from what you're directly in front of, the background color seems to shift. It's a shimmer like on those old kids toy pictures that would look like one thing and then another if you changed your viewing angle.


I know TN panels are supposed to shift a lot but when you're sitting in front of them, they don't – at least not in the same way. Maybe it's the screen coating?


When gaming, it doesn't really matter; there's not a lot of text to be looked at. But when working on notepad, especially on a dark background... it's.... really distracting.


Has anyone else experienced this? Do you just get used to it in the end? Are there any solutions? I've tried using Windows upscaling for text but it blurs things something awful.


Edit: It could just be the anti-glare coating. I don't know. The BenQ doesn't have it.


Examples of what I'm referring to:
-

Source: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2766887
 
I never had a non "standard" arranged VA, so I can't comment on that per say. However, fuzziness is there on 96 dpi screens by default (23-24" 1080p, 32" 1440p, etc.) unless you sit very far from it. If you want crisp text, you need to go to higher dpi. That being said this doesn't mean all 96 dpi screens will strain your eyes when reading, many even prefer this over crisper text since they don't want to change windows scaling settings for some reason, but if you want crisp you really need higher... Font rendering differs on different panels and coatings, had screens that looked blurrier than usual even at the same dpi as other screens (philips BDM3270QP clearer than aoc Q3277PQU although they use the same panel and it wasn't just a clear type setting since I tried to set them up, both were fine for extended use though). I do find reading off angle text (margins usually since those you look at off angle become softer) harder on VA than on IPS on big screens.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top