• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Difficulty accessing computer over network.

etfblade

n00b
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
7
Hey all,

I recently shared an internet connection from my main computer, (which is connected through wireless to the internet ), using the main computer's NIC and a crossover cable to my server. Now my server can access the internet perfectly fine, and I can access the server from my main computer, but I cannot find the server from any other computer. It seems it can only be found by the computer that is directly connected to it, even though it has internet access.

How can I get my server to show up properly on the network?

Thanks in advance!
 
If you used Window's Internet Connection Sharing to share the connection on your main computer, this setup a NAT on your main computer which your server is behind. Effectively, it does the same thing a router does and hides all 192.168.0.* IP addresses from the outside world (your wireless network). Thus, without setting up port forwarding, you won't be able to access the shared network from your other network.

Instead, you might try "bridging" connection on your main computer, rather than Internet Connection Sharing. This does not NAT the connection, and does not establish a new subnet. Rather, it just passes all packets from one interface to the other. This way your server would have an IP on the same subnet as the rest of your network, and other computers on the network could access it.
 
OK, I bridged my NIC card and my wireless card on my main computer. However the server does not have internet access anymore without the internet sharing enabled. I am using a crossover cable to connect the two pcs. Should I be using a straight ethernet cable?

Thanks for the help so far BollWeevil!
 
i would say get a 5 port switch, We have smc's 5ports for 35 at our store so i know you can pick them up for cheap.
Than use Stright-Threw to both
Should help things out :D
 
The problem with getting a switch is that the connection to the cable modem is one a different floor than these computers are on. It seems the only option I have here is to buy a wireless card for the server, which I'd rather avoid doing for now, or share the internet from a computer that already has wireless.
 
Having an extra switch shouldn't have anything to do with it. You might have to assign an IP manually to the server if it's not picking up one via DHCP over the wireless.
 
Back
Top