Different wireless strength from different computers

Boy

Weaksauce
For my desktop, I'm using a Airlink Golden N Wireless Mini USB Adapter to connect to my Frontier Wireless router. For the past 3 weeks or so, the wireless strength to my router has been really spotty. It'll be good for a couple hours and then all of a sudden, my ping will be anywhere from 50-5000ms. I can't reproduce it since it just happens randomly.

I'm typing this on a laptop that is right by my desktop and my connection (using the wireless USB) is just fine. I ping my router and get <1ms whereas if I ping my router on my desktop, I get anywhere from 2-700ms and a bunch of packets lost. Could this be a problem with my motherboard or something?

I've tried reinstalling drivers and just updated the BIOS. Doesn't seem to do anything. I just bought a new Netgear Wireless N USB adapter and installed that on my desktop. Still getting the same problem and only 2/5 bars for signal strength.

My mobo is a gigabyte g31m-es2l and I've had it for about 1.5 years and I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Think about it. If the same wireless usb adapter works fine on your laptop, it is most likely the position of the adapter. When it is plugged into your desktop, I'm sure your desktop is near the ground, or backed up to a wall, and your usb adapter is wedged somewhere.

Get a 6ft usb extension cable and tape the adapter to the top of your desktop's screen. Better yet, tape it to the location where your laptop is sitting on your desk and has a stable connection.

Of course it could be something else, but this is most likely the cause. I understand that it works "sometimes" but interference and the travel of the wireless waves can change suddenly, and that once stable link will go wacky.

Think about it. If the same wireless usb adapter works fine on your laptop, it is most likely the position of the adapter. When it is plugged into your desktop, I'm sure your desktop is near the ground, or backed up to a wall, and your usb adapter is wedged somewhere.

Get a 6ft usb extension cable and tape the adapter to the top of your desktop's screen. Better yet, tape it to the location where your laptop is sitting on your desk and has a stable connection.

Of course it could be something else, but this is most likely the cause. I understand that it works "sometimes" but interference and the travel of the wireless waves can change suddenly, and that once stable link will go wacky.
ah, ok. i moved into a new house about half an year ago and it worked fine for about 5 months, it just seemed to working randomly the last couple weeks. i just didn't think distance would be the problem.

seems to work fine if i move it near my monitor, thanks.

also remember a lot of other things use the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. microwaves, cordless phones, other wireless devices can cause interference. if it only happens when you are nuking some popcorn, theres your answer.

Back