Different Tubing Sizes In The Same Loop?

lostiam2

n00b
Do I have to use the same tubing size for my whole loop or can I use 2 different sizes? I have a MCP350 with Petra's top which must use the larger tubing 7/16, but I want to use 3/8 for the rest of the loop, since 7/16 is such a pain to take off the barbs. Will the two different tubing sizes make a noticeable impact on cooling or will it not even matter?

I'm still quite the n00b, but from what i've been reading, it is generally not a good idea to use different tube sizes as this introduces restriction into your loop and forces your pump to work harder while hurting flow rate.

I don't think it will hurt to much. My old w/c'd P4 setup has been running for about 3 yrs with the same pump(Swiftech MCP600) and still has great temps. It has both 1/2 ID and 3/8 ID tubing in the loop. The fill and bleed kit had smaller id tubing that the rest of my setup. It's overclocked from 2.8Ghz to 3.53Ghz (It's a hot Prescott) at only runs at about 40C full load.

I ran in to the same sort of problem with my setup.

My Setup

It should work just fine. Just don't expect any improvement in flow from using the bigger piece. Otherwise its just like running all 3/8" tubing.

Hoobie

if its 1/2 inch tubing and 3/8 mixed i wouldnt worry about it at all.. if it was 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch then i wouldnt do it lol

Back