Different sized dual monitors + native resolutions + pixel density

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

There is a particular Engineer in the Engineering department who received his new Dell M4600 a month ago. I believe it has a native resolution of 1920x1080, and a physical size of like 17" (widescreen of course). He also had a second monitor that is around 21" and I think supports 1680x1050. I may have the resolutions in the wrong order -- the 1920x1080 might go with the 21" and the 1680x1050 with the laptop's 17" LCD -- but this detail won't affect the situation.

The problem is that on the laptop, icons and text are much smaller than on the 21" LCD monitor due to the pixel density. The first idea might be to change the icon/text size with the "Make text and other items larger or smaller" link under "Screen resolution" in Windows 7; the problem with this is that it affects both monitors, and apparently there's no way to "Make text and other items larger or smaller" unique per monitor (?).

So then the next thought might be to change the resolution on the 1920x1080 monitor to match 1680x1050. Only one problem: it only allows me to select 4:3 resolutions and the native 1920x1080 resolution (which is odd, stupid, and illogical considering that 1920x1080 is nowhere near 4:3 aspect ratio), and the 1680x1050 LCD is too small of a resolution to do any matching -- we'd be losing serious virtual real estate if I bumped BOTH down (but again, it's only showing 4:3 resolutions on the 1920x1080 LCD that is physically a widescreen, so this wouldn't be an option either!).

Even worse, there is no option to "clone" both displays / show the same output on both displays. The only options Windows 7 gives are extended display, show only monitor 1, and show only monitor 2. I even checked NVIDIA control panel, but it only shows one monitor (the 21" monitor) ! :confused: Intel Graphics Manager shows only one thing too (I think it showed the laptop's LCD); neither provide options for controlling the second monitor.

And I believe this laptop has an i7.

Windows 7 can clone displays, might have to be on the same card haven't tried / done it with two different video cards. Have you checked to see if you have the current drivers? Also what is your monitor showing up as? I've seen driver issues and / or windows not knowing it has a wide screen display cause the screen res issue of not being able to set wide screen resolutions

You can't change DPI per-monitor since programs would then have to be able to handle DPI changes when they were dragged across monitors (and what if you had a window that spanned both monitors?). Do you have drivers for the external monitor to get a full list of supported resolutions?

Back