Different ports for RDP?

vage

2[H]4U
Hey guys, so I have a bunch of servers setup running as VM's on my host machine. I have everything setup so that when I want to remote in from work, I have the servers listening on different RDP ports. However, when I am at home I simply reference them by their hostname. I was wondering if its possible to make RDP listen on two seperate ports? So when I'm at home I can just put in the hostname and have it go to the default RDP port, but when I'm at work I have to put in the seperate port number.

I'm not quite following you here. Do you have a VPN tunnel to your home?

If so, thats all you need, if not, get one

When you setup port forwarding, just use the external port point to the default internal port so you currently have something like this:'

Ext > Int
3389>3389
3390>3390
3391>3391

When you can just set the rdp settings back to default and setup your firewall like this:
Ext > Int
3389>3389
3390>3389
3391>3389

Cant find EDIT, but...
Then the router will just determine the destination based on source port, and destination IP

3389>3389 (192.168.1.101)
3390>3389 (192.168.1.102)
3391>3389 (192.168.1.103)

Cant find EDIT, but...
Then the router will just determine the destination based on source port, and destination IP

3389>3389 (192.168.1.101)
3390>3389 (192.168.1.102)
3391>3389 (192.168.1.103)

I don't have that option because my routers firmware is garbage.

Really? What kind of router? I've just never seen any router that didn't let you specify the public and private port number when setting up port forwarding.

My router recently died (It was a good one too... DFL-300. Cost me like $250 when I first got it). By far it was the best router I ever bought... but then, I found pfSense. Google it. Better than anything you can buy for any price.

Go to REGEDIT, click on My Computer at the top.

Go to Find and type in "rdp-tcp" (minus the " ")

When it finds that entry look for PortNumber.

Change it to the port you want and restart the machine.

You might also have to add this port to the Windows Firewall exceptions if you have it turned on, otherwise it won't let you connect. (Even if you have Remote Desktop checked in exceptions, since you changed the port you must add the port manually)

Your post is confusing...

So...you already have your servers listening on non-default ports...so it appears you know how to change the RDP listen port.

How to make them equal from the outside world....dunno, without a VPN. But if you setup a VPN from the office...it will probably break your office computers LAN functionality...not to mention be against their rules.

Why not something easier like LogMeIn Free.

Go to REGEDIT, click on My Computer at the top.

Go to Find and type in "rdp-tcp" (minus the " ")

When it finds that entry look for PortNumber.

Change it to the port you want and restart the machine.

You might also have to add this port to the Windows Firewall exceptions if you have it turned on, otherwise it won't let you connect. (Even if you have Remote Desktop checked in exceptions, since you changed the port you must add the port manually)

This is right, however instead of using the hostname use your external IP or you can use DYDNS but at the end of the IP use ":<portnumber>" without the quotes.

Back