Different hard drive models ind zfs

tobiasl

Weaksauce
hi I have just order the last HW to my new zfs server

Intel Xeon DP L5630
12GB (3x4GB) Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit PC3-10667E ECC CL9 (DDR3-1333)
Supermicro X8ST3-F iX58
it are runing under solaris

I have 6 hdd to it but also me old hdd from me unraid bult I will add to a vdem when the data are transferred to the zfs pool but now I se me unraid server hdd have Different hard drive models numbers
I got
3: WD20EADS
2: WD20EARS
1: WD20EVDS

can I just add them to a vdem to the pool or are it not good it have af different number :confused:

Last edited:
As the EARS drive has 4k sectors while the EADS have 512k sectors you will have to make sure the filesystem is properly aligned for the 4k drives. There are multiple threads here that cover this topic.

The EAVS drives are drives specifically suited for harddisk video recorders as far as I remember and are physically identical to EADS models I think. They have a little bit different firmware and should be fine if used with ZFS.

It will work, but if the sector alignment is not taken into consideration it can significantly decrease performance.

Why did you buy a L5600 series Xeon if I may ask? A X3400 series Xeon would have been enough.

Last edited:
ok can you link to a dummy guide to what to do whit the 4 k drive I are a litel noob whit the 4 k I nnormal just plug it in and to the cpu I take the L5630 because of the motherboard

ok can you link to a dummy guide to what to do whit the 4 k drive I are a litel noob whit the 4 k I nnormal just plug it in and to the cpu I take the L5630 because of the motherboard

Here's the page for the search function here:

http://hardforum.com/search.php

Just be sure to select 'Data Storage Systems' in the box on the lower right and you'll find it in no time.

now I have search one more time and goolge but cant fina step to step guide the only thing I can thine are som bencmark and som whit BSD

aboout your 4k drives

i would not care about, just use them.
"keep it simple" is always better than to struggle about a few percent performance gain.

usually some GB more RAM, a 50GB SSD read cache drive
or using raid10 instead a raid-Z helps a lot more than 4k optimation.

Gea

Back