• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Different Connectors - which should I use?

godsfshrmn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
200
I am using the built-in soundcard (realtek) on my asus a8n premium and I have the Z-5500 speakers. Which output should I use? The 3 headphone connectors, or the optical?
 
I assume this is just a difference in using the onboard audio vs the 5500's audio processor. I messed with the settings and I did notice that the little '3d audio demo' did work now, whereas with optical it did not. Is this why most soundcards do not have optical output?

optical / digital same difference :) optical is the type of wire used (which is digital)
 
I don't know if the Z5500's come with the optical wire, if not goto walmart and get a 6ft. one for cheap. Use the optical connection on your motherboard. Just make sure it is enabled in the software for the onboard chip.
 
Yea I am using optical input right now. I was wondering if I should use the mini-plugs or the optical.
 
Well you see, if you want to use a digital connector, (optical or coaxial), the motherboard must be able to send all 5.1 channels to the speakers. This requires special encoding that most motherboards do not have, and off the top of my head im not sure if your motherboard does this.

<Edit> From the looks of it, the Realtek AL850 on your motherboard does not support this digital surround sound encoding. </Edit>

If it does not, then you will only get stereo out of the digital cable (which explains your demo not working in true surround sound.) In this case the only way to get true surround would be with the analog cables.

~Hope this helps
 
Back
Top