• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

differences in closed back vs open back

osirus35

Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
871
I have been reading up on certain headphones for gaming ie: dt770 and others but i have also noticed that some of these models come in both open back or closed back. I wanted to know what the major differences of that would? (besides blocking outside sound)
 
yeah sound leakage would be the major difference. Also by design, closed cans may or may not sound a little hollow. IMO the biggest con of closed designs is that the mids are recessed which is noticable on the A500 but not so much on A900LTD or DT770. An open can has 'airyness' to it. Meaning, the sound escapes more naturally getting softer. A much smoother follow through if you will. If you like rock and wanna get amphitheatre like sound, an open can is more suitable. However that openess leaks out valuable bass impact. Cupping your hands over the earcups immediately adds bass impact.

personally i prefer closed cans for games,movies,rap&techno. I prefer open cans for rock,r&b.
 
strikeout said:
yeah sound leakage would be the major difference. Also by design, closed cans may or may not sound a little hollow. IMO the biggest con of closed designs is that the mids are recessed which is noticable on the A500 but not so much on A900LTD or DT770. An open can has 'airyness' to it. Meaning, the sound escapes more naturally getting softer. A much smoother follow through if you will. If you like rock and wanna get amphitheatre like sound, an open can is more suitable. However that openess leaks out valuable bass impact. Cupping your hands over the earcups immediately adds bass impact.

personally i prefer closed cans for games,movies,rap&techno. I prefer open cans for rock,r&b.

I don't know if closed cans actually means recessed mids, but the A900 LTDs definitely don't have recessed mids, from my experience (I agree).
 
Back
Top