Differences in calibration software

theirlaw

n00b
So I bought an X-Rite i1 Display 2 and used it along with the accompanying iMatch software to calibrate my ZR24W. I'm interested in trying other calibration software, so I obtained a copy of ColorEyes and I noticed that while iMatch allows you to calibrate my display using the hardware controls of the monitor, the ColorEyes software only calibrates by producing an ICC file.

Now, I understand what's going on and what not, but is there a preferable method? I figured that a strictly hardware calibration using a calibrator and the monitor settings would be ideal, but is it absolutely superior to ColorEyes creating just an ICC profile?

What about if I have my monitor set to default settings (90 brightness, for instance) and then ColorEyes creates an ICC profile that dims the monitor right down. Does having my monitor at 90 brightness negatively effect the life of the display for no added value since the ICC profile is dropping down the brightness?

Thanks!

The bulb will certainly wear out faster.

I use consoles with my monitor, so I'm limited to RGB control. Games and other benchmark programs I used sometimes overrides the ICC calibration as well, resets to default colors. But do both, that way your monitor will be calibrated, whether you're gaming or not.

If you are making corrections for brightness digitally, you are needlessly throwing away contrast by having the backlight set sky high + raising the black depth.
Don't do it.

Back