Differences between these three Gigabyte X48 boards

oymd

Weaksauce
What are the differences between these 3 Gigabyte X48 boards? Both seem to be exactly the same?

1- GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 @ $230
http://www.newegg.com/product/prod [...] 6813128336

2- GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 @ $290
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813128331

Why the $60 difference?

3- GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 @ $??

The ONLY difference I found so far is 2 less SATA and 2 less eSATA ports on the DS4. Can it be only that?? 3 models with very different prices but exactly the same??!!

And which do u recommend if overclocking is not an issue...neither is a Crossfire setup in mind...would I be satisfied with the P45 performance?

My proposed setup:
One of the above mobos
Q9450
8800GT 512
8GB DDR2 800
2 x 1 Terabyte Samsungs
Vista Ultimate 64bit

Intended for heavy audio video encoding...photoshop...etc...
Gaming from time to time...when I can ....but must be able to play all current games...bioshock..crysis..etc..

What would be a SILENT power supply for this setup...but powerful enough?

Like I said...NO OVERCLOCKING will be done...and I will not use 2 graphic cards...

Thanks..

There is absolutely no reason to go with a X38 or X48 unless you intend to run CrossfireX or need additional 16x slots for some other reason (RAID cards, maybe). Other than that, a P35 board is just as fast, runs cooler, and OCs just as well.

Given your current planned setup, any quality P35 will be plenty, and P45 will net you zero performance gain.

Why were you even considering an X38/X48 in the first place?

LOL....I have no idea....just go for the best I guess??....something I read about the ICH9R on the X48 being superior?:D

There are P35 boards with ICH9R onboard... and it's not /that/ much better, from what little I know of it. I generally don't bother with RAID.

i agree with the rest...i'm running my old in the tooth e6300 at 3ghz no problem for half the cost if not less.

i'm even gonna skip 45nm lga775 till nehalem proves to be a substantial upgrade.

If the X48 boards are like their X38 boards, the DQ6 feature the "QuadBIOS" vs the DS4 "DualBios". The NIC controller is also a different revision, but I don't think there is any substantial difference. The chipset cooling is also a little more refined on the DQ6. If you want to save a little more money for the exact same features, look at the GA-EX38-DS4 at newegg.

Back