differences between the fx 55's

i believe clawhammer was the ECC required memory socket 940 pin ..while the San Diego is 939 non- ECC required memory.. could be wrong.

both are 939.

Clawhammer = 130nm process.
San Diego = 90nm process

The Sandy runs cooler, oc's a bit better, and it's the one to have.

:( man I'm kinda dissapointed now i was all exctied thatvi had gotten the kick ass cpu now I dunno I won it on ebay for 197.50 shipped I though nice great price but oh well its still a good cpu I hope the artic cooler 64 pro will keep it nice and cool lol

Do you guys think it was a bad buy? I doubt I would habe been able to get the sandy overclocked to much on my daul sata2 board I'm hopeing to get a dfi lanparty ut sli dr expert soon

As that I have both the CH and the SD cores. I can tell you what it boils down to.

It really depends on the stepping as to how well it will OC. most SD cores have issues with Cold bug and cant handle much more the just water or air cooling. it takes a special core for it to do so. Most on air will oc to 3.0ghz. The SD is a 90nm core that uses SOI and strained Silicon in its production as well as revamped mem controller and later model versions of the SD also came with added intruction codes like their other relative the FX57.

now the CH version has its very special place. The 130nm cores of the CH version did not have issues with cold bug so you could cool them with dry Ice and extreme phase cooling or even Ln2 to achive an extreme oc. My personal best with both is the SD @ 3.4ghz with Phase cooling and the CH core @ 3.5ghz with phase cooling.

The stepping and production date code is the all important issue. Knowing that can make all the difference as to how Great or not the CPU is or can be.

The very first 4ghz run with a AMD chip was on an FX55 CH core by Ricky of spain. Also on Phase cooling..Once you get to know the ins and outs of steppings it does make a big difference. just like my FX 57.. 4.0ghz real easy. but had the good stepping.

you did get a good CPU. no worries there. you could have a whole lot less.

Hmm well that's boosted my confidence in my cpu I still can't wait for it to be delivered thanks for the info

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Details
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
Model FX-55
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADAFX55DAA5BN
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADAFX55BNBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping E4
Frequency 2600Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.35V/1.40V
Max Temp 49-63°C
Thermal Power 104W