• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Differences between 9800s.

Lukes Wall

n00b
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
62
I was looking for an upgrade from my Ti4200 and the 9800 looked like the only reasonable choice (keep in mind that I live in Brazil, even the prices change slowly here). I found one with a pretty decent price, the problem is: they put an observation stating that its memory is 128 bits (they are talking about speed, I presume).
I've never seen anybody talking about that around here. Does that make the card slower?
 
You want the 256-bit 128meg 9800Pro. Do not buy the 128-bit 128meg card. It's memory bandwidth is crippled. Usually called the 9800se.

9800Pro all the way.
 
Is it much slower?

Mister E said:
You want the 256-bit 128meg 9800Pro. Do not buy the 128-bit 128meg card. It's memory bandwidth is crippled. Usually called the 9800se.

9800Pro all the way.

SE???
Say no more!
 
I run a 9800se unfortunately. Definately go with the pro, man. The se is such a pos it isn't even funny. Although some se's will softmod to pros with decent cooling, I'd still just pay the extra 80 and get a pro and mod to xt.
 
se type 2's rock, they have 256bit ram buit crippled core most will softmod
 
I wouldn't say most...I'd say it's closer to half. It's the reason I went cheap with the SE. Unfortunately I was of the unlucky bunch. There is actually a way to tell before hand if you can look at the card whether it will mod or not...I think it has something to do with the chip layout, but I can't recall correctly.
 
This is the display image on the site:

PVD01G.jpg
 
Back
Top