Differences between 6800, GT, and Ultra

twyztyr

Gawd
I got a friend that's going to be building a new gaming rig soon, and he's been out of the loop for a while, and I don't pay much attention to really high end graphics stuff. In real world terms, what is the difference between all three versions of the 6800, or if there's already a thread, could someone point me to it? Thanks.

the 6800 is just a little better than an FX5950 and a 9800xt. The 6800GT is almost double a 9800 pro. And the Ultra is just tad faster than that of a 6800GT.

If not on a budget, go for the GT, it is the best bang for the buck... :D

oh and don't forget... There is a 6800LE that might be coming out soon. It isn't known if it will be for only OEM or what...

It will run at about 175-200 bucks... and the preformance is right at or above the 9800 pro...

:)

I mean why are there 3 different ones. What are the physical differences between them? Different memory? They're all obviously based on the same chips, or else they wouldn't all be 6800s, correct? Would a normal person actualy really notice much difference? He's not going to be benchmarking or anything, just wants his stuff to look as good as possible, within reason.

the plain 6800 is 12 piplines 128 mb vram gddr 1

the gt is the ultra with a tad slower ram (gddr 3 but 2.0 instead of 1.6 which is on the ultra) and the gt is clocked lower then the ultra both ram and gpu

rancor said:
the plain 6800 is 12 piplines 128 mb vram gddr 1

the gt is the ultra with a tad slower ram (gddr 3 but 2.0 instead of 1.6 which is on the ultra) and the gt is clocked lower then the ultra both ram and gpu

Ok, cool. Thanks!

My GF2 Ultra just went kapoot 2 days ago, so I'm shopping for a new video card. The 9800Pro seems to be at a nice price point now, but here I'm seeing the 6800LE might be better and cheaper? When is it due to be released?

Aaron

amheck said:
My GF2 Ultra just went kapoot 2 days ago, so I'm shopping for a new video card. The 9800Pro seems to be at a nice price point now, but here I'm seeing the 6800LE might be better and cheaper? When is it due to be released?

Aaron

Don't really know, plus its rummored that it may just be only for system builders like Dell

Back